Founded as a faith-based hospital in 1923 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Dignity Health – St. Mary Medical Center is a 389-bed, acute care, nonprofit hospital located in Long Beach, California. The hospital offers a full complement of services, including a Level II trauma center, cardiac and vascular center, surgical weight loss, maternity and the CARE Center, which is a recognized PrEP center of excellence. The hospital shares a legacy of humankindness with Dignity Health, one of the nation's five largest health care systems.
The Access Care Representative is responsible for facilitating a positive patient experience through friendly coordination and advocacy in terms of reception, registration and other interactions during the patient's stay in the facility. Duties include assisting in proper identification of the patient, collection of patient demographics information, financial counseling, coordination with the hospital's bed assignment process as well as anticipating and responding to the non-clinical needs of patients and their families. This position may have access to third party credit card information and transactional systems (cash registers, point of sale devices, applications supporting credit card transactions, and reports or other documents containing credit card information) from single transactions or a single card at a time.
Employing excellent customer service skills, the Patient Registration Representative is responsible for ensuring a positive patient experience throughout the registration process.
In order to ensure appropriate reimbursement for services rendered, primary duties include:
Appropriate patient identification Collecting accurate and thorough patient demographic data Obtaining insurance information and verifying eligibility and benefits Determining and collecting patient financial liability Referring patients to the Patient Registration Specialist as needed for assistance with financial counseling and/or clearance
The Patient Registration Representative adheres to the organization's policies and procedures for resolution of patient financial liability.
Additionally, the Patient Registration Representative is an information source for patients and families by explaining hospital policies, patient financial responsibilities and Patient Rights and Responsibilities.
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in a hospital Patient Registration department, physician office setting, healthcare insurance company, revenue cycle vendor, and/or other revenue cycle related roles. 2 years preferred. Applicable education and/or training can be used to balance a lack of experience High School diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Thorough understanding of insurance policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Able to perform basic mathematics for payment calculation.
- Experience in requesting and processing financial payments.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
- Knowledge of charity care programs as well as the various government and non-government programs preferred.
Education: High School graduate or equivalent
Special Skills: Typing 30 WPM, computer skills