We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1 million homes and over 10,000 businesses (including Arsenal Emirates) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended supplier for 2 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, M&S Energy, Affect Energy, Octopus Energy Business Solutions, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services.
We're looking for a Payroll Administrator to work closely with our Finance team. You will have the opportunity to own and streamline the payroll process and be our in-house expert on all matters pay and reward.
What you'll do
- You will own the HR database, checking that data is being entered appropriately (e.g. leavers are being processed; job changes are being captured)
- You will build and operate simple process for capturing changes to pay (leavers, extraordinary payments, new joiners, commissions where payable etc), working closely with department heads to check information and obtain their approval prior to loading into payroll.
- You will execute pay rise policy (inflation link on work anniversary)
- You will prepare monthly payroll file for outsource payroll provider to execute
- You will handle queries about pay and pension
- You will be the relationship manager for Smart Pension, taking responsibility for any changes and ensuring team members wishing to opt-out of pension contributions sign appropriate waivers etc
- You will run people-related MI on a monthly basis as part of month end information pack, month end analysis of net pay movement as well as preparing ad-hoc analyses as required from time to time
- You will work with our HR providers to stay abreast of changes to legislation that can affect our pay and reward offer and advise accordingly
What you'll need
- Proven payroll knowledge
- Knowledge of UK manual tax and national insurance calculations
- A confident user of Excel, Word, HMRC online PAYE services
- Good communication skills, both verbally and written, and the ability to work independently or as a member of a team
- Invested in promoting a customer care/service-based approach and operate with discretion
- The ability to be pro-active, flexible, and adaptable while problem solving when required
What you'll get
- Equity Scheme (own part of the business)
- Pension Scheme - Employer 5% Employee 3% - you can opt to contribute more!
- Flexible working environment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Fruit, breakfast and hot drinks
- Weekly free Friday drinks
- Regular social events (3 parties a year including a Summer festival)
- Access to Hatch - Financial advice and planning for employees
- Childcare Vouchers
- Maternity and Paternity pay
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion in the future of sustainability then we'd love to hear from you!