Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
“Provide seamless access to the unique capabilities of the SpatialOS platform for all Unity developers and empower them to build the innovative games and applications of tomorrow”
We strive to enable Unity and mobile developers to quickly and easily build and host multiplayer games. As the Engineering Lead, you will manage the team and drive the continual advancement of our SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for Unity.
You will play a critical role in leading our small, fast-moving engineering team. The team is responsible for defining and implementing the concepts and workflows that Unity developers use to access our platform, build their game, launch, debug and analyse its performance.
Whilst remaining hands on and contributing towards the development of the GDK, your primary role is to lead and develop your wonderful team - taking care of hiring, on-boarding, mentoring, coaching, career development, and performance management. We want to build a positive team culture where you're supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people.
- Able to write coherent, well-structured and efficient code using C# with a particular emphasis on performance.
- Experience coordinating planning and delivery of your team’s responsibilities, and representing progress.
- Experience of growing and managing a team of 5 engineers or more.
- Proven experience building games or interactive applications within the Unity game engine.
- Experience of engine development or modification/extension would be highly desirable.
- Experience of mobile development would be highly desirable.
- A real passion for developing, mentoring and supporting people.
- A diverse background in software and/or systems engineering.
- We expect you to have highly developed troubleshooting skills that you can apply to both technical and people issues.
- Worked with customers, both internal and external.
- Excellent communication skills.
N.b. Whilst we think the competencies above could be important, we remain open to hear from applicants that come from all backgrounds and experiences. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the requirements, then please still apply!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.