Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
As a Software Engineering Intern you will be placed in one of our engineering teams and be mentored by some of our senior engineers. You will be developing large-scale, distributed systems which form parts of our real-time simulation platform.
Interns will be given a challenging project by our Head of Engineering which is best suited to their skills and interests.
Example projects include:
• working with AAA game studios to build new gaming features into our simulation stack
• integrating new engines with our distributed stack -- e.g. physics, navigation, raycasting
• developing new algorithms to distribute and scale our simulations
• developing tooling to understand and reason about large real-time simulations
• low-level performance optimisation & efficiency improvements
• researching new applications of our tech and developing proof of concepts in the government
Interns will also have the opportunity, if desired, to work with our award-winning team on a project that will showcase the disruptive power of our technology and will redefine how simulations are made.
You can read more about the technical challenges we’re solving here.
For a comprehensive overview of our Campus Programme and Engineering Teams, visit our briefing pack.
We would like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- An excellent academic record to date, ideally coupled with stand out extra-curricular activity and/or internships in a world-class software environment
- Excellent knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms (such as Java, C#, C++, Python, Go, Scala etc)
- Growing appreciation for productive software engineering including Testing, Tooling, IDE mastery etc
- Demonstrable interest and passion for development (e.g. personal projects, blogs, Open Source projects etc)
- Algorithmic and data structures knowledge
- An interest in gaming, simulation or distributed systems is, of course, advantageous
N.b. Our internships are always paid.
While we think the above experience could be important, we can’t predict the future and so we’re keen to hear from applicants that believe they have valuable experience. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the suggestions, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.