Method is a product and service strategy consultancy founded in San Francisco in 1999. We believe that innovation should be meaningful, beautiful, and human, and we work with great clients to create a better future.
Design and technology are at the core of our business. We use these as tools to take on complex challenges and identify unique and meaningful opportunities for our clients. Our team - based in both New York and London, works with a wide range of organisations, including startups, blue chip companies, nonprofits, government bodies, and more. We have partnered with clients in many industries, such as Healthcare, News & Media, Automotive, Aviation, Insurance, and Professional Services.
If you have a proven ability to think both critically and laterally, good business acumen, strong team leadership and mentorship skills, and love for solving the most meaningful problems through design, then this might be your role.
A Design Director at Method is an expert in strategic design, collaborative processes, and defining end-to-end solutions. In this role, you’ll shape approaches, design and deliver experiences, and support the success of project teams with a clear understanding of the dynamics of industries and markets and an empathetic approach to understanding people’s mindsets, needs, and latent expectations.
You’ll lead multidisciplinary teams in defining interactions from single products or service touch-points, to complex orchestrated services and systems that include digital and analogue interactions.
- Share your expertise in strategic thinking, design research, and design methods, and facilitate collaboration with multidisciplinary teams
- Guide project teams and clients through the design process, from identifying opportunities through to crafting end-to-end solutions
- Plan and facilitate workshops and work sessions with internal teams, clients, and people from different backgrounds and areas of expertise
- Articulate strategic intent and create supporting presentation materials
- Articulate the context of strategic design work within client’s business with an understanding of business strategies and current market contexts
- Interpret and communicate research findings, apply brand values, and articulate product features, service guidelines, and technical limitations in the context of a fast-paced product development environment
- Craft and guide teams to create design systems, interaction models, early concepts and detailed solutions for a prototyping-driven environment
- Support new business efforts and shape proposal approaches with the business development and client services team
- Mentor others and play an active role in the development of the studio and its culture
- Proven experience building, managing, and sustaining successful teams
- An exceptional portfolio showcasing innovative thinking and design solutions
- 10+ years experience in design consulting or in house design departments, spanning multiple industries and project types
- Graduate degree in Visual or Interaction Design, Product Design, Human Factors, HCI, or equivalent professional experience
- Exceptional communication skills (both conversational and written), with an emphasis on pitching and presentations, running work-sessions, and articulating and defending design decisions
- Proven track record partnering with multiple disciplines on projects and practices
We look for individuals who are smart, kind and brave. Curious people with a natural ability to think on their feet, learn fast, and develop points-of-view for a constantly changing world find Method an exciting place to work. Our team members have the ability to listen, see value in other opinions, and are able to collaborate respectfully and effectively. We look for proactive leaders who can take and give direction, lead by example, enjoy the making as much as they do the thinking, especially at senior and leadership levels.
If you are a curious person that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.