FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hiring Range: $40,000-$45,000
Under the direction and supervision of the Landfill Manager or The Director of Public Works, this position should be able to perform skilled labor and operation of heavy equipment. This position performs duties that are skilled labor for the operation of the landfill tipping face, maintenance of landfill roads and drainage.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates equipment of various sizes and weights, in loading, hauling, and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operation of trucks, snowplows, backhoes, and tractors during the winter months to keep the landfill roadways cleared and open for public use.
- Assists with digging of trenches, covering the landfill, compacting trash and with special projects when directed by supervisor.
- Performs duties in accordance with safety policies and procedures daily.
- Ability to communicate to mechanics about equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Performs daily inspections of equipment, keeps equipment clean, and regularly schedules maintenance of heavy equipment.
- Daily operation of the landfill and Recycling Center.
- Ability to work independently and manage time.
- Utilize good judgement.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Understand and carry out both written and oral instructions.
- Read, understand, follow, policy and procedures as necessary.
- Help the other landfill employees.
- Drive to other locations to perform assigned duties.
Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full time (40 hour per week), non-exempt position. Weekend work will be required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must possess a clean driving record.
- CDL Class A or B valid driver’s license preferred not required.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass a preemployment background and drug test.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Lake County Government is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
- Preferred bilingual in English and Spanish.
Lake County Benefits - Full-Time Employees
As a reflection of the value we place on the contributions of our employees, the County offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees. Please review the 2023 Benefits Guide for full details. The Guide provides information on Lake County Government's benefit offerings, including:
- Employer-Sponsored Medical and Dental Insurance Plans
- 100% Employer Paid Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Employer-Sponsored Short-Term Disability Insurance
- 100% Employer Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 100% Employer Paid Term Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- 401(a) and 457(b) Employer Matched Retirement Plans
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Personal Days and Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Public Health Emergency Leave
- Discounts on concerts, major sporting events, electronics, travel, cars and more!
Lake County Benefits - Part-Time Employees
Lake County is also proud to offer paid sick time off, Public Health Emergency Leave, and flexible work schedules for our part-time employees.
Lake County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. Assistance or accommodation during the application process due to a disability is available upon request.
Notice of Emergency/Disaster Responsibilities
All Lake County Employees may be required to work as a Disaster Service Worker when a local declaration of emergency or disaster is declared by the Board of County Commissioners.
Please note that this job description does not intend to cover or contain a full comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.