Are you passionate about acoustic communication systems and signal processing?
Are you searching for meaningful algorithm development work?
Do you love working with forward-thinking engineers who want to advance exciting new sonar technologies?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative acoustics engineer to help us develop groundbreaking new sonar and signal processing technologies. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to challenging acoustics projects used for US homeland security. We love the fact that our exciting engineering work helps keep our country safe. Our team strives to develop, apply, and maintain deep expertise in acoustics and electromagnetics. We are passionate about conducting groundbreaking signal processing research and advancing state-of-the-art technologies that can change the way we live our lives. Our diverse team of hardworking physicists, mathematicians, and engineers believe in fostering a collaborative environment of continuous learning.
As an Underwater Acoustic Communications / Signal Processing Engineer ...
- Your primary responsibility will be developing and analyzing acoustic communications concepts and algorithms. Your contributions will involve designing and implementing algorithms for acoustic signal processing systems.
- You will analyze and assess the performance of algorithms and sonar systems by comparing real world and experimental signal processing results with model predictions.
- You will develop new performance models and design prototypes and new applications. You'll collaborate with our government partners and your teammates to create groundbreaking new concepts for sonar systems.
- You will partner with other specialists on sea test planning, evaluating new sensor systems, and conducting performance modeling.
- You will craft reports and presentations to communicate results to team members and government partners.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Ocean Engineering or a related discipline.
- Have 3 years of experience working with acoustic communications systems, signal processing, acoustic propagation, and developing sonar systems.
- Are skilled in developing software in MATLAB.
- Are a phenomenal communicator, both written and oral.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings and participate in field tests, which may include aboard civilian or Navy ships.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if...
- You have a MS degree or equivalent experience in sonar systems with MATLAB and C/C software development skills.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.