Are you passionate about building solutions for our greatest national security challenges?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We provide state-of-the-art semantic web-based systems for ontology-centered knowledge representation and intelligence analysis to support national security missions. We work in interdisciplinary teams comprised of physical scientists, intelligence analysts, cyber operations experts, software engineers, semantic web technologists, and ontologists. We partner with sponsors and users to understand requirements and to design, implement, and deploy innovative system solutions.
As a Linked Data Engineer, you will...
- Primarily work with senior software engineers, semantic web technologists, ontologists, physicists, chemists, biologists, and related field subject matter experts to implement and deploy systems for analyzing big data within the realm of intelligence analysis.
- Conceive and design innovative methods for employing semantic technologies to the counter-WMD and intelligence analysis problem sets.
- Support system deployment, troubleshooting and user training.
- Author and present papers on current research activities.
- On occasion, be required to travel within the National Capital Region to deploy production systems or attend meetings or conferences. Occasional travel out of the area for sponsor / partner engagements may be required.
Are you up for the job? You meet our minimum requirements if you have...
- A. B.S. or higher in Computer Science or similar academic discipline, and a strong understanding of core Computer Science academic theory regardless of degree.
- Comprehensive understanding of or experience with Linked Data modeling, publishing, and consumption principles.
- Practical experience building applications using standards and technologies falling within the semantic web stack, e.g., Jena, Sesame, triplestores. Experience with evaluating, reusing, and inter-mixing third-party Linked Data vocabularies for specific application needs.
- Deep understanding of database engine design, planning, and execution with ability to tailor database and query environment to fulfill performance requirements, e.g., RDF-HDT.
- Ability to manage enterprise service / agent behaviors using graph languages such as SHACL/ShEx, SPARQL, RDFS, OWL. Familiarity with ontology engineering practices and modeling tradeoffs.
- Experience with practical issues involved as Linked Data vocabularies evolve in definition or usage, and ability to create approaches to mitigate.
- The ability to coordinate with ontologists to align existing Linked Data vocabularies into upper ontologies such as Basic Formal Ontology (BFO).
- Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency in object-oriented software engineering principles and including proficiency in software development using one or more modern languages such as Java or Python.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our expectations if you...
- Are comfortable in an environment where only high-level requirements may exist in absence of a fully-defined detailed project schedule.
- Are able to creatively contribute towards developing new requirements by identifying customer needs and applying expertise and knowledge of available methods, tools, and concepts to those needs.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.