SAIC is seeking a Flight Operations Engineer on the NASA OMES II contract in support of the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The position is located in Lanham, MD.
This position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA's mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation's economy and protect lives and property.
This is a senior system engineering position working with the Mission Operations Support team (MOST) on JPSS. Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Flight Operations for the JPSS Mission Operations Support Team (MOST).
- Support the MOST in JPSS prelaunch tests, Mission Rehearsals and Launch and Early Orbit and Activation (LEO&A). This includes:
- Acting as the overall authority on commanding the spacecraft
- Managing a team of engineers to ensure a working environment for flight operations
- Coordinate with ground sites to ensure preparedness for operations
- Supporting the MOST in JPSS product development. This includes:
- Coordinating simulator and ground resource availability for the MOST
- Representing the MOST in meetings with customers/vendors
- Executing Day-In-The-Life operations events
- Managing a team of engineers to ensure a working environment for product development
- Writing, tracking and supporting the resolution of Discrepancy Reports (DRs)
- Maintain operational documentation
- Support the development of operations tools
- Proactively improving the operational environment and flight operations
- Other duties as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree and 5 years or more of related experience.
- Must be able to pass a Government background investigation.
- Spacecraft subsystems or operations experience in operations or I&T.
- Previous experience/proficiency with tools/languages such as XML, Python, Groovy, Java, etc.
- MS Office skills required.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability