We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over fifty fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. With just a small team, we’ve already created the largest professional English offering in the world. Now, we’re scaling up to release 1,000 more courses over the next three years.
Learn more about our unique approach at slangapp.com. We’d love to field any questions you have about our product and vision!
What this role is about
In this role, you’ll be involved in both product development and company strategy and execution — you’ll own the research, design, and development of the front ends of new features and you’ll help us refine our product roadmap. We have tens of thousands of active users and many subproblems in language learning to tackle.
Our codebase is built with best practices in mind and our product is designed with proper UI/UX at the forefront of development. The work we’re facing encompasses both desktop and mobile UI implementation, a diverse population of end users, and unique interface problems.
Some of our technology comes from the open-source community, so be prepared to contribute back!
Some interesting problems we’re tackling
- How can we design the learning experience to communicate the power of the advanced data-science deciding the particular sequence of activities a user sees while maintaining simplicity and intuitiveness?
- How should we structure our web and mobile UIs to maintain consistency across platforms and our various applications?
- How can we communicate the learning statistics of a company’s employees for display to their managers?
Skills and technologies
- Two or more years of experience with modern web UI stacks and related technologies, with a preference for React, TypeScript, and PostCSS experience.
- A strong desire to maintain a clean, reliable, maintainable, and efficient codebase.
- An eye for design. We’re big on UI/UX here, so a good aesthetic sense is important.
- Excellent discipline and focus, especially in autonomous environments, and strong English communication skills. We’re a small team and we’re moving quick!
- A plus: interest or experience with mobile application design and development, language-learning, or data visualization.
What Slang can offer you
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary and unique benefits.
Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
Where we're located
Our team is currently split between Boston, Ciudad de México, São Paulo, Bogotá and Medellín. We are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world.
Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá and in the Ruta N Innovation district of Medellín.
We'd love to hear from you — apply below!
Slang is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are excited about creating an inclusive and healthy environment.
For further information related to Slang, check out recent pieces profiling us in Expansión and Portafolio; the portfolios of our investors, Social Capital and ALLVP (also investors in startups like Slack, Intercom, and Cornershop); our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego and Kamran.