Employment Status: FT
The pharmacy technician assists pharmacists in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the drug inventory, and maintaining patient records. Pharmacy technicians work only under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. They do not perform duties that can legally be performed only by a registered pharmacist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in ordering, receiving, unpacking, and storing pharmaceuticals and supplies in appropriate locations
- Rotates stock to ensure use before the expiration date
- Identifies and replaces outdated and usable pharmaceuticals
- Fills physician orders, medical surgical kits, medication carts and / or floor stock requisitions accurately
- Prepares intravenous admixtures or other sterile preparations accurately
- Delivers medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas accurately and return credit medications and supplies per established schedule
- Restocks medication and IV dispensing areas accurately within specified time periods
- Repackages bulk medications in unit dose packages accurately per established procedures
- Enters charges and credits for patient medications accurately
- Monthly inspection of all patient care areas and crash carts in the hospital for expired and/or inappropriate pharmaceuticals
- Maintains current technical certification
- Attends orientation, education, and training programs
- Reviews literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of pharmacy including but not limited to new drugs, improved technology, and changes in laws
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must possess a valid Louisiana Technician Certificate or permit renewable annually in June
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Medium Work as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor constitutes a maximum lift of 21-50 pounds on occasion and/or a maximum lift of 11-25 pounds on a frequent basis
Formal application; verification of education, and experience; verification of license(s), certification(s), registration(s), accreditation(s) if applicable; oral interview, reference and background checks; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Hospital/Clinic and the employee. The job description is subject to change as the needs of the Hospital/Clinic and requirements of the job change.