Associate General Counsel
Who is Wyze?
Come and be a part of what GeekWire calls a top 100 “most popular and trending” Pacific Northwest tech company at one of Built-in-Seattle’s “100 Best Places to work in Seattle 2021.”
Wyze’s mission is to make great technology accessible to everyone because we believe that when great technology is accessible, curiosity thrives! Founded just over three years ago, Wyze started out as a smart camera company, has since branched out into the entire smart home ecosystem.
Our headquarter is in Kirkland, WA, an outstanding city just east of downtown Seattle and nestled around beautiful Lake Washington. We also have offices in Beijing and Shenzhen, China!
At the announcement of the pandemic reaching US borders, Wyze employees quickly adapted to WFH setups and we, as well as any new hires, will continue to thrive from the safety of our homes until we can make a safe return to work in our new, COVID-conscious office space.
This role is based full-time at HQ and we are happy to help new folks relocate to this wonderful, tech-savvy city!
The Impact You Will Have:
The Associate General Counsel role is a critical member of the high-performing legal
team at Wyze. The ideal candidate is an experienced, proactive, business-practical
attorney with the proven ability to help build and deliver a world-class legal function
focused on supporting and elevating the business, and who is solutions-oriented and
enthusiastic about continuous improvement and making great technology accessible to
everyone. The Associate General Counsel will assist in crafting and leading the
strategic focus as well as managing a broad range of day-to-day legal and risk
management matters as our company continues to grow. This is an opportunity to join a
growing legal department, to help develop and scale the legal function, and to deeply
collaborate with teams and departments across the business. The position reports to
the General Counsel.
A Look Inside the Role:
- Work closely with the General Counsel and business stakeholders company-wide to help develop and execute all aspects of our legal function. Ensure a strong legal risk management environment and set the appropriate tone at the top to support Wyze’s continued growth in a customer-focused, responsible and sustainable manner.
- Lead product, feature and service offering initiatives from the product and consumer legal risk management perspective to provide efficient, business-practical and actionable legal risk mitigation strategies across multiple jurisdictions.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, including vendor agreements, supply agreements, license agreements, master services agreements, SaaS agreements, NDAs, and many more.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources on regulatory and privacy matters, brand protection, IP, employment matters, disputes, and more.
- Assist with corporate transactional, governance and compliance matters as needed.
- Create and deliver company-wide educational presentations and tools about legal issues relevant to Wyze.
- Keep informed about legal issues relevant to the business and propose proactive solutions and practical advice to help Wyze continue to scale at pace.
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel relationships.
You Already Have These Qualifications and Love What You Do:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and a member in good standing with a State Bar.
- Minimum 15 years as a business attorney with both law firm and in-house leadership experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional business judgment and analytical skills, striking the appropriate balance between business opportunity and risk.
- Proven ability to work autonomously as well as to partner cross functionally with other teams to influence and build effective working relationships with ndividuals at all levels of the organization.
- Outstanding management of multiple competing priorities, meet business critical deadlines, navigate through ambiguity, identify and resolve business issues, and earn the trust of business partners.
- Impeccable interpersonal, communication, drafting and negotiation skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience thriving in a dynamic and rapidly evolving company environment.
- Comfort and familiarity with existing and emerging technology.
And Even Better if the Following Apply to You:
- Experience working in a product counsel role supporting the creation of new products and services.
- Enjoy challenges and a fast-paced environment, comfortable with ambiguity, and creative problem solving.
- Passion for how smart home technology, AI, and design can work together to bring richer and fuller experiences to customers.
- Use smart home devices in your daily life.
Wyze has a full benefits package through Premera Blue Cross. This includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, EAP, Short-term disability, Long-term disability, FSA, and Daycare FSA. Employee premiums will be paid 100%, and 80% paid premium for dependents.
10 Holidays - 6 set holidays and 4 Floating Holidays for you to use however you choose
15 days of PTO every year
Additional Wyze anniversary vacation days
9 sick days/mental health days per calendar year
Principal 401k Plan - there is no company match at this time
Rosetta Stone reimbursement if you'd like to learn Mandarin
$50 a month reimbursed as a technology stipend - taxes apply
Wyze employee product perks: Wyze employees receive an array of our most loved products and services, as well as Wyze software services once they are launched. Employees also get a chance to participate in our beta program for unreleased products to help make Wyze better for all!
Come Join Us!
If this sounds too good to be true and you are ready to be part of #teamwyze, then we want to hear from you! Please send us a cover letter that showcases some of the outstanding things you can do and how you feel they could apply to our vision and projects here at Wyze!
We will ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.
Lastly, and exceptionally important to us: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity as well as inclusion here at Wyze. We are fully committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. That’s how we do things!