Supervisory Park Ranger (Interpretation)

Department Of The Interior Kinderhook, NY
* Duties

Help Duties Summary

This position is located in Martin Van Buren National Historic Site, in the Interpretation Division. The position works under the supervision of the Martin Van Buren National Historic Site Site Manager to create the strategy and lead the development of a dynamic interpretive program. Please visit find a park for additional park information.

Learn more about this agency


* Serve as the primary onsite supervisor for the interpretive, education and outreach programs at Martin Van Buren National Historic Site.

* Shape and guide a program beyond traditional interpretation to one that encompasses diverse forms of interpretation, outreach, education and partnerships to reach beyond traditional and new audiences, and underserved populations.

* Responsible for operation of the park's visitor center, interpretive tours of Lindenwald, the home of Martin Van Buren, interpretive tours of the historic landscape, education and outreach, interpretive media, special events, as well as the park's website, and social media.

* Coordinate visitor services, interpretation, and education needs with other park operations and park teams and partners to support the park and the NPS mission.

Travel Required

Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


* Job family (Series)

0025 Park Ranger

* Requirements

Help Requirements Conditions of Employment

* U.S. Citizenship required.

* Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.

* Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.

* Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.

* You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.

* You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.

* You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.

* If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.


To qualify for this position at the GS-11 grade level, you must possess at least one of the following minimum qualifications by close of the announcement:

EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience includes activities such as: Coordinating, managing or directing interpretive programs; developing long range program plans; developing educational programs; managing interpretive staff or other similar work . You must include hours per week worked.

* OR-

EDUCATION: Successful completion of at least three years of progressively higher graduate level study, or a PhD, or equivalent doctoral degree in directly related fields such as natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. You must include transcripts.

* OR-

Successful completion of a combination of education and experience as described above. For example, 6 months of the specialized experience (50% of the experience requirement), and 45 semester hours or 68 quarter hours of directly-related graduate level college study in an accredited institution (50% of the qualifying education). The total must equal at least 100 percent to qualify. You must include transcripts.

Time-in-Grade: Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.

Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".


To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.

If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.