As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be a propulsion research engineer of propulsion systems including combustion devices, turbomachinery, valves, ancillary systems, electric propulsion, thermal propulsion, and overall engine operations supporting advanced technology of systems from conceptual design through flight operations. You will share in the team's impact on all aspects of the technology maturation process for rocket engines. You will work with internal and external customers and stakeholders to advance technology needs supporting engine products, along with technology pull aligning with company vision and technology roadmaps. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and talent in advancing rocket propulsion technology in support of safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Work with internal and external customers and stakeholders to mature advanced technology projects aligning with business unit demands
- Support development of innovative technologies that will unlock the gate to increased space exploration
- Collaborate with internal product teams and external researchers to pull on path technology into mainstream program implementation.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of existing liquid rocket engine systems and components such as: combustion devices, turbomachinery, valves, ancillary systems, and overall engine operation
- Learn and apply knowledge of chemical, electric or thermal propulsion technology to solve tough technology project problems and able to rapidly advance knowledge through individual research, subject matter experts, academic interaction, and design-development teams.
- Learn and apply basic knowledge of vehicle fluids and power systems to support team in interacting technology projects
- Support studies and trade for advanced concepts and systems in the areas of fluids, propulsion and power, including proposals
- Use written, verbal and visual communication skills to effectively deliver results
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in appropriate engineering or scientific field of study
- 2+ years of experience or equivalent advanced degree, experience and demonstrated expertise
- Ability to effectively collaborate on multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams
- Ability to understand liquid rocket engine propulsion and component such as: combustion devices, turbomachinery, valves, ancillary systems, or overall engine operation
- Exhibit good judgement and be comfortable in a high-quality and high-velocity decisions making team environment
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit ability to adapt and excel in changing, growing environment
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Advanced degree applicable to propulsion systems
- Experience in research environment at academic or business level, or both
- Liquid rocket engine experience in concept, design, development, test, or flight operations
- Experience with engineering tools such as: CAD (Creo Pro/E preffered), FEA (ANSYS preferred), CFD (CFD+
• and CRUNCH preferred)
- Experience with cryogenic fluids, storable propellants, combustion dynamics, or super alloy materials
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and analysis
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Experience with proposal development
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.