McClatchy is looking for an accomplished Labor Relations Director to join its People Team.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Click here to learn a little bit about us: McClatchy
The Labor Relations Director administers and negotiates collective bargaining agreements on behalf of the local management team that are consistent with the mission and values of McClatchy. They act as the primary liaison between local management and the union, working with outside counsel and the VP of Total Rewards, as part of the company’s negotiation team. This person is a resource for local senior leadership and partners with their management team.
Responsibilities include advising management and People team members on labor related matters, researching and drafting company proposals and counter proposals for labor negotiations, while carefully analyzing and evaluating proposal costs. They also help resolve contract related disputes and lead escalated grievance resolution sessions on behalf of the Company.
Location: This position can be remote, however preferred location in one of our 30 markets. Click here to view our market locations:McClatchy Markets
The states that we are in: Washington, Idaho, California, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Washington DC, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida
- Responsible for negotiating collective bargaining agreements with the union on behalf of the Company.
- Works with VP Total Rewards, senior level executives, local senior management, People Team Business Partners and outside counsel, regarding overall direction of labor strategy, advising management on issues regarding union and management relations.
- Drafts proposals and counterproposals on behalf of the Company, including prior research to retrieve relevant data, development of alternatives and conducting cost analysis.
- Oversees dispute resolution involving employees, management and the union.
- Point person for union communications, including responding to all information requests.
- Responsible for the development of collective bargaining agreements that adhere to mandated corporate policies and practices, ensuring the contracts are in compliance with federal, state and local law.
- Ensures management compliance with collective bargaining agreements, through the use of training, interaction and partnering with local management and People team members.
- Keeps on top of human resource and industry trends, as well as labor best practices and labor laws.
- Works with People team members in related Center of Excellence, performing other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Business, or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years related experience desired, WITH at least 2 years experience negotiating and writing labor contracts.
- Ability to interact effectively with employees, senior-level management, and external union stakeholders.
- A strategist capable of both the development and execution of labor relations strategy, with strong negotiation skills.
- Seasoned, high-energy and self-motivated leader, doer and team player with demonstrated understanding of corporate business models and practices.
- Proven ability to lead through influence, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Excellent writing, presentation and oral communication skills with strong business acumen and ability to deliver messages that drive to agreement.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding time management and organization abilities.
- Ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards.
- Extreme discretion, as work often involves confidential and sensitive information
- Knowledge of online communication and social media
- Travel will be required - the amount of travel will depend on union activity
- Graduate training in a human resources-related discipline coupled with a S/PHR and/or SHRM-SCP or its equivalent, is highly desirable
- Prior experience in both traditional and interest-based negotiations
- Generalist background with broad knowledge of employee relations, employment, organizational planning, performance management, compensation management, training and development
- Bilingual – English/Spanish in written and verbal communication skills is highly desirable
- Vision and strategic thinking: Collaboratively sets and champions a clear future direction in labor relations. Addresses issues to sustain competitive edge and maintain market dominance. Anticipates needs and priorities.
- Change/Entrepreneurship: Champions innovation and encourages new ideas. Builds momentum to get things done by communicating clearly and consistently. Acts decisively. Helps others to successfully manage organizational change. Recognizes successes and informed risk-taking.
- Relationship management and collaboration: Understands others’ underlying concerns, emotions and feelings. Uses strong negotiating skills and adaptability to foster successful outcomes. Manages disagreements and conflicts, resolving issues between management and the union.
- Bench strength: Encourages and inspires the development and long-term growth of others. Counsels and trains managers regarding contract related issues, grievances and disciplinary procedures. Conveys high expectations, gives candid and objective feedback, offers support and advocacy.