Paint & Body Shop Apprentice Technician
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
A Paint & Body Apprentice is required to complete a 365-day (1 year) rotation throughout the Paint & Body Department. In this position, the Apprentice will work under the direction of a mentor to learn the different roles within the body shop – Body Repair Technician, Prepper, Painter, and Buffer. Adherence to processes defined in Manheim’s Body Shop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) is required.
- Inspect refinished body panels for proper color match and acceptable finish texture, bringing any quality issues to management’s attention immediately.
- Prepare the surface for buffing utilizing proper finish sanding products and technique (see SOP).
- Restore refinish panel(s) to OEM quality utilizing provided rotary buffer, correct buffing technique, compounds, and polishes defined in SOP.
- Inspect remaining (not repaired/refinished) vehicle surfaces for overspray and remove as needed.
- Remove and clean all compound or polish residue from buffed panels completely and inspect for acceptable finish quality.
- Inspect all repaired and primed panels for proper and complete body repairs and primer application as defined in SOP. Review any incomplete, missed damage, or improper repairs with management before proceeding.
- Mask/protect any adjacent panels (non-refinish) from scratches or damage before final sanding.
- Prepare properly repaired and primed panels (including “blend” panels) for final finish application using abrasives, power tools, and hand tools, as directed in SOP.
- Avoid over-sanding (cutting through finish) or under-sanding (leaving sand scratches that will be visible in final finish) refinish panels.
- Clean and remove all dust and other particles from repair/refinish panels completely prior to moving completed vehicles to the next step.
- Verify vehicle and repairs to be performed using repair order or tracking label prior to beginning repairs.
- Repair all damaged body panels as directed by management.
- Follow repair procedures as defined in Manheim’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Replace damaged panels or other body components as directed.
- Properly handle, apply and dispose of any surface coatings as directed in Manheim’s SOP and defined in federal, state or local regulations.
- Finish all repairs as required to meet Manheim’s customer expectations for quality
- Assure all refinish products are properly formulated to meet the color match and finish texture expectations, utilizing all tools and techniques provided by paint suppliers' technical support system (i.e., TDS, color match system, etc.).
- Mix only the amount of refinishing products (primer, base, and clear) required to cover repair/refinish area and limit waste, using paint suppliers “mix-management system”.
- Apply refinish coatings, using only approved, provided HVLP spray equipment set at the recommended pressure.
- Apply automotive refinish coatings in designated, properly vented application area as directed by management.
- Assure paint area (i.e., booth, prep station, etc.) and paint mix/storage rooms are cleaned daily and all refinish products are stored as directed.
- Clean and maintain all paint formulation and spray application equipment (i.e., paint guns, mixing system, computer equipment, etc.) in proper working order, as directed by management.
- Visibly demonstrate safety commitment by following all safety and health procedures and modeling the behaviors related to such. Actively participate in support of all safety activities aligned with Safety Excellence.
- Perform other duties as assigned by mentor/recon manager.
- Must be approved by GM/HRBP into Paint & Body Apprentice Program
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Desire to work in the mechanical field.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record required.
- Ability to drive vehicles with standard and automatic transmission.
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test and wear and approved dust mask.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach, talk and hear.
- Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, squat, and climb.
- Ability to lift 1-25 pounds.
- Manual dexterity, repetitive motion tasks.
- Vision abilities required include close, distance, and color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.