Data Center Designer - Networks, Integration, and Automation (Kansas City)
Burns & McDonnells world headquarters in Kansas City, MO, is looking for a Data Center Designer specializing in telecommunications and data center design to support multiple hyper scale data center projects in their Networks, Integration & Automation department. Burns & McDonnell is ranked on FORTUNEs List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in Kansas City and numerous other cities across the United States.
The Designer will work on an integrated design team within our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) division to perform the following duties:
- Detailed design of large-scale data center telecommunication environments. Follow all company, client and project design and drafting standards.
- Assist with a full range of drawing and modeling production work including problem analysis. The desired candidate will have proficiency in modeling conduit and cable tray as well as managing and creating complex families with custom parameters within Autodesk Revit.
- Assist with a variety of assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, sizing various system components and cables, and refining rough sketches.
- Assist with initial rough designs or sketches and redlines or mark-ups on ongoing projects.
- Assist with analyzing reports, drawings, and calculations; create and maintain bill of materials.
- Work closely with engineering project teams and field personnel to complete and review projects within scope, budget and schedule. Perform project tasks and assignments within budgeted hours and deadlines.
- Incorporate schedules, budgets and project criteria into physical design and layouts.
- Organize and maintain all revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information in a logical and well-structured manner.
- All other duties as assigned.
An Assistant Electrical Detailer will assist with plans and prepare non-routine drawings with complex features using information from rough sketches, detailed engineering notes or brief verbal guidance. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients.
- Assist in a full range of drawing production work.
- Produce project deliverables in an efficient and budget conscious manner.
- Assist with CAD drawing production and project execution.
- Printing, scanning and submitting drawing packages.
- Maintain high CAD proficiency and mastery of current CAD systems.
- Effectively use multiple application packages where necessary.
- Train, mentor, and develop staff.
- Review and adhere to project scope, schedule and budget.
- Resource management.
- Identification of priority tasks and implementing plans of execution.
- Communicate with team and management workload.
- Maintain record of client or company CAD standards.
- Provide quality feedback of work.
- Assist in the QA/QC process.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Associate's or bachelors degree in drafting and design and five years related telecommunications/data center experience.
- Strong knowledge of Autodesk Revit is a must.
- Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge in telecommunications, cable/conduit routing, equipment rack layouts, wired and wireless communications, floor plans and data center projects strongly preferred.
- Experience utilizing BIM 360, Navisworks, Revit work sets, view templates and project phasing.
- AutoCAD experience is a plus.
- Ability to multitask in a fast pace, deadline driven work environment.
- Ability to thrive in a multi discipline team setting.