As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We provide almost half of the nation's blood supply, as well as humanitarian relief at home and abroad. Our focus is to provide compassionate patient and family-centered care both internally and externally with every person we encounter. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
Are you seeking a full-time opportunity that makes a difference? Are you passionate about meeting new people? Do you want to have an impact in your community, across the country, and around the world? If your answer is "yes", then we invite you to become a Phlebotomist-Driver (CDL required) for the American Red Cross!
From transporting and setting up blood collection equipment at work sites, to drawing blood from donors, as a Phlebotomist-Driver with the American Red Cross you will work all aspects of blood drives at schools, offices & churches throughout Kansas City, and the surrounding areas. No experience necessary—our paid training is a mix of classroom instruction and field practice.
To learn more about this role, watch this short video: A life-saving mission. A life-changing career. Join us.
Clinical Nurse Responsibilities
- Perform all phases of therapeutic apheresis procedures, ensuring safe and appropriate care of patient.
- Assess patient status relative to therapeutic apheresis, prior and during procedures, utilizing nursing process. Patient assessment to include laboratory testing results and other clinically significant procedures.
- Coordinate closely with physicians and nurses at a variety of hospitals to arrange therapeutic apheresis treatments and facilitate coordinated care. Evaluate patient medication for compatibility and safety of apheresis procedure and determine when to contact the physician.
- Demonstrate knowledge and compliance with all ARC departmental and organizational standard operating procedures, policies, practices and regulations.
- Explain, as needed, clinical apheresis procedures to patients and their family and other attending healthcare professionals.
- Represent the American Red Cross to the community and internal customers by establishing and promoting a positive organizational and professional image.
- Complete necessary training and demonstrate competency to perform each job function.
- Assemble, restock, QC and maintain supplies and equipment in a state of readiness to maintain a clean, safe and efficient work environment.
- If appropriate, operate American Red Cross vehicles in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Provide clinical apheresis procedures in variable locations, including inpatient and outpatient areas.
Perform clinical apheresis procedures as needed in emergency situations to include after hours, weekends and holidays.
Must be able to work independently, provide quality patient care and assessments, problem solve and take appropriate actions as necessary.
- Registered nurse with current state licensure as required.
- A minimum of one year experience in medical/surgical or critical care nursing is required.
- Current CPR certification. Good vein selection and venipuncture skills are essential.
- Good verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively discuss procedures and medical issues
with patients, families, and physicians.
- Previous Apheresis or dialysis experience is preferred. Customer service experience, effective verbal communication and public relation skills are preferred.
- A current valid driver's license and good driving record are required.
Competencies:The duties and responsibilities mentioned in the job description are representative of the essential functions of the position. The performance management system incorporates competencies which are identified, discussed and evaluated in order to meet operational milestones and which are tied to job families and titles. Three types of
competencies have been identified; Technical Competencies are job specific skills and methods, Core Competencies are the abilities and behaviors expected of all Biomedical Services employees, Leadership Competencies are specific abilities and behaviors required of those performing formal management roles or other leadership roles (i.e. Project Leaders). Management and staff should contact Human Resources for further details on the appropriate competencies for
a specific position.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety
- f lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an Exposure Determination I in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks. Potential exists to also be exposed to hazardous chemicals.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.