A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BHG Bronson Healthcare Grp Inc.
HIM Coding Specialist II
Analyzes physician/provider documentation contained in hospital outpatient surgery, observation, psychiatric and inpatient electronic health records to determine the first listed and all secondary diagnoses. Utilizes encoder software applications (including online references,) in the assignment of ICD-10-CM/PCS codes and CPT-4/HCPCS procedure codes for appropriate MS-DRG and APC assignment. Assigns modifiers as appropriate for CCI/LCD edits. Utilizes coding guidelines established by the Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS,) American Hospital Association (AHA,) and the American Medical Association (AMA.). Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 years of hospital-based coding experience is required.
Associate's degree in Health Information Technology or a related field is preferred.
RHIA, RHIT, CCS, or CPC Certification required; or must obtain within 18 months of hire.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Experience utilizing encoding/grouping software is preferred.
- Ability to utilize both manual and automated versions of the ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT4 coding classification systems preferred.
- Ability to understand prospective payment systems and APC assignment.
- Ability to understand third party payer requirements, National Correct Coding Initiatives (NCCI) and other code editors.
- Ability to use a standard desktop and windows based computer system, including a basic understanding of email, internet, and computer navigation.
- Ability to use other software as required to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to analyze and assimilate information from various sources based on technical and experience-based knowledge.
- Must exhibit critical thinking skills and have the ability to prioritize workload.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and can perform several duties and functions related to daily operations and maintain excellent customer service skills.
- Must have the ability to change and be flexible with work priorities.
- Must have the ability to problem solve.
- Must be able to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in an environment that may be stressful with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles.
- Must have well-developed communication skills, both written and oral.
- Able to communicate effectively with individuals and groups representing diverse perspectives, including management, physicians, nurses and colleagues.
Work which produces high levels of mental/visual fatigue, e.g., interactive and repetitive or small detailed work requiring alertness and concentration for sustained periods of time, the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT between 40 and 70 percent of the time.
The job produces some physical demands. Typical of jobs that include regular walking, standing, stooping, bending, sitting, and some lifting of light weight objects.
- Navigates the electronic health record and other computer systems in determination of diagnoses and procedures to be coded.
- Codes hospital outpatient surgery, observation, psychiatric, and inpatient records (as their primary work assignment) utilizing encoder software, in the assignment of ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT-4 and HCPCS codes.
- Assign codes in accordance with AHA Coding Clinic and AMA CPT Assistant.
- Tracks issues (such as missing documentation or charges) that require follow-up to facilitate coding in a timely fashion.
- Brings identified concerns to appropriate leadership for resolution.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of changes in coding guidelines and regulations.
- Participates in educational opportunities to enhance knowledge in coding and reimbursement systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned by leadership.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
1400 Health Information Management (BHG)