A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Certified Pharmacy Technician- Bronson Methodist Hospital- 40hrs/wk- 1st and 2nd shift
Must be able to work 2 to 3 holidays per year and every other weekend. Variable hours, 1st and 2nd shifts.
Under the supervision of a Registered Pharmacist and according to policies, procedures and guidelines established within the organization, the department and the Michigan Department of Community Health, the Pharmacy Technician assists pharmacists in filling prescriptions and preparing IV admixtures by interpreting, transcribing, and preparing medication(s) for dispensing. Fills orders with appropriate medications for review and approval by a Registered Pharmacist. Performs a variety of related technical, clerical and supply duties. The duties may vary somewhat depending on shift assignment. The technician will be responsible for competency in the core areas of supply, unit dose and IV. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
3-6 months of experience and/or training in the hospital or elsewhere, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
If not previously trained, a 3-month formal training in pharmacy procedures is preferred.
A medical terminology course is preferred.
- Temporary or permanent Michigan Pharmacy Tech license required upon hire with permanent Michigan Pharmacy Tech licensure required within one year from issuance of temporary license. PTCB certification is required to transition from temporary to permanent licensure. Failure to obtain permanent licensure in required timeframe would end employment.
Successful completion of the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam (PTCB) prior to hire, and maintaining certification during employment.
Students currently enrolled in an accredited school of pharmacy with a valid pharmacy intern license are not required to have Pharmacy Technician Certification.
- Skills in mathematics and basic algebra.
- Ability to read, interpret and analyze data from various systems and equipment in order to set an appropriate plan of action in coordination with the pharmacists.
- Effective communication skills to report and discuss findings, as needed with pharmacists, hospital personnel and external customers;
- Ability to foster a positive, professional working relationship with coworkers
- Accuracy and initiative to complete routine and urgent tasks
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks within the constraints of stated objectives and to provide effective timely follow-up as needed.
Work which is constantly and exceptionally tiring mentally and/or visually. Conditions exist more than 90% of the work time.
Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
- Demonstrates ability to complete and maintain all competencies of Certified Pharmacy Technician
- Functions in the role of OR Technician, ED Technician or Decentralized Pharmacy Technician
- With Pharmacists oversight, ability to review and comprehend pharmacokinetic reports
- With Pharmacists oversight, ability to review and comprehend TPN/PPN labs
- Ability to perform unverified floor order entry
- Ability to intervene with missing medications
- Ability to collect and enter patient height/weight into the department documentation system
- Utilizing the teach back method, able to provide patient anticoagulation medication education
- Ability to assist pharmacist in obtaining patient home medication histories and clarifying/reconciling home medications
- Ability to review and comprehend Serum Creatinine out of range report
- Ability to review and comprehend INR report
- Ability to review and comprehend drugs and falls report
Scheduled Weekly Hours
5100 Pharmacy (BMH)