How would you like to be a part of AmSty’s mission of enhancing lives through materials and know-how in a responsible and sustainable manner?
At AmSty, our team of dynamic associates are continuously leading AmSty to be the top integrated producer of polystyrene and styrene monomer. Our size and geographic footprint allow us to provide solutions to our broad range of customers.
At AmSty, our success is based on world-scale production technology and supply chain capability. All of our dedicated associates possess a strong continuing focus on safety, reliability and environmental compliance.
Open the door to your future at AmSty!
The Operating Technician is a 12-hour rotating shift job operating the Joliet polystyrene plant on a shift with two other operating technicians. Job requires knowledge and use of computer operating (DCS) system, knowledge and use of a work station, use of the computerized maintenance work order system, minor maintenance on shift, and the ability to safely and responsibly operate the plant using standard operating procedures and work processes.
- Performing all duties with a high degree of dedication to safety and environmental stewardship.
- High degree of safety awareness and commitment to follow all safety standards.
- Perform logistical duties such as railcar switching, unloading raw materials, and loading product into trucks, railcars, and cartons using powered industrial equipment such as forklift, yard mutt, or railcar mover.
- Performing routine operation of basic control systems and devices to monitor levels, temperatures, pressures and flow rates and transfer of products.
- Conduct lab testing to ensure product conforms to customer requirements.
- Using troubleshooting skills to resolve process, product quality, safety, and environmental problems.
- Following operating discipline, procedures and practices to ensure a safe and efficient operation of assigned duties.
- Monitor field equipment such as reactors, pumps, vacuum systems, mechanical refrigeration units, heat exchangers, tanks, etc.
- Identification of equipment requiring maintenance.
- Clearing and tagging equipment as required, and issuing Safe Work Permits for maintenance and project work.
- Accurately completing all required paperwork.
Job Requirements and Preferences
- High school diploma is required.
- Process Technology Certificate is preferred.
- Initiative: Active member of a small team operating the plant around the clock. Independently initiates activities which contribute to team/plant goals. Overcomes obstacles. Looks for opportunities to assume responsibility and shows leadership in areas of strength.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Works for win-win solutions. Asks questions and uses input to improve performance. Communicates effectively.
- Learning: Seeks and provides feedback to improve performance of self and teammates. Continuously learning to contribute to team success and personal growth. Develops new skills that benefit the team.
- Teamwork: Gets along well with others. Is both candid and tactful in dealing with others.
- Value creation: Critically evaluates problems/issues using relevant data. Works on the right things.
- This position is part of the Joliet manufacturing organization, and is located at the Joliet polystyrene plant in Channahon, Illinois. Relocation assistance is not authorized for this position.
- To attend to emergencies, successful candidate’s primary residence must be within a 45-mile radius of the Channahon, IL plant or must be willing to relocate to defined 45-mile radius without relocation assistance.
- Grade and salary level offered to the successful candidate will be appropriate to the job duties.
- The work schedule for this position is a rotating 12-hour shift working nights, weekends and holidays. The schedule is two days followed by two nights, then four off. The successful candidate will be expected to work some overtime. While training or on logistics rotations, shift schedule will temporarily be days M-F.
- AmSty, a privately owned company, offers a full benefits package and industry competitive wages.
AmSty is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
AmSty is a leading integrated producer of polystyrene and styrene monomer, offering solutions and services to customers in a variety of markets throughout the Americas. Positioned as the second largest polystyrene producer and the third largest styrene producer in the Americas, AmSty brings competitive and technological advantages to its customers. AmSty is a joint venture equally owned by Trinseo LLC and Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP.