Internal Audit Manager - Broker Dealer (Remote)
The Internal Audit Department (IAD) of The Charles Schwab Corporation provides independent and objective assessments to figure out whether all significant risks are identified and appropriately reported by management and risk functions to the Board and Executive Management, to evaluate whether risks are adequately controlled, and to challenge Executive Management to improve the efficiency of governance processes, risk management, and internal controls.
The Broker Dealer team is seeking an Internal Audit Manager. The Bank Internal Audit team is focused on the execution of Bank and Trust audits that target governance processes, risk management programs, internal controls, and regulatory compliance. The team also shares responsibility for regulatory agency interactions, Board and Executive Management reporting, and general relationship management. Internal Audit activities are directed towards the Charles Schwab Banking and Trust Services (BTS) organization, which represents three federally-chartered banks and two personal trust companies. These entities represent wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Charles Schwab Corporation (CSC) that are focused on offering traditional retail and advisor-sponsored banking and personal trust services to complement Schwab’s brokerage capabilities. Business trust services are provided for entities seeking trust and custody services for employee benefit plans.
Reporting to a Managing Director of the Broker Dealer team, the Internal Audit Manager will have responsibility for the independent and objective assurance activity designed to improve the organization’s operations and compliance with key regulations by evaluating and improving the efficiency of risk management, control, and governance processes. This position is also responsible for working with auditing resources provided by an external co-sourcing provider.
Workplace Flexibility Program:We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference*
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
- Direct and supervise the design and execution of internal audits, ensuring work is performed in accordance with IIA standards and IAD policies and procedures.
- Participate in an audit team may include internal or co-sourced internal audit professionals.
- Lead meetings with partners
- Ensure coordination with integrated and data analytic audit teams
- Prepare and/or reviewing work papers to ensure clear identification of risks and issues, validating appropriateness of fieldwork testing, and sign-off on audit deliverables.
- Handle and raise changes in audit timelines, budget, resourcing, and achievements.
- Assess the quality of management’s Risk & Control Self-Assessments; and support the assessment of the operational risk management program that leads the RCSA program.
Issues Identification: Review draft issue observations, vet issues with key partners, identify compensating controls, and evaluate the appropriateness of the management action plan prior to finalizing the audit report.
Issue Management and Validation: Monitor and review issue validation testing to ensure comprehensive testing and adherence to SLAs.
Business and Project Monitoring: Participate in the department’s business and project supervising program execution to identify emerging risks.
Risk Assessment: Participate in the annual Risk Assessment process, including the scoring and documentation of risk ratings. Review audit universe updates after the completion of each audit.
Coaching: Provide support, mentoring, and feedback to the audit team throughout the audit. Provide assistance with onboarding and ongoing support to new team members.
Regulatory: Conduct validation testing on the action plans completed by management to address MRAs. As needed, provide responses to IAD management related to regulatory questions during exams.
Administration/Training: Completion of firm-wide and departmental administration and training requirements.
Other Initiatives/Special Projects: As needed, assist with special projects related to business operational improvement or department critical initiatives.
What you have
- 5-7+ years of financial services-related audit experience with growing responsibility. Bank and/or Trust experience specific to internal audit and/or similar Big 4 Accounting or regulatory experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience leading internal audits and their associated team members, amongst a complex operational and regulatory environment
- Ability to lead a project team and cultivate a strong working relationship with external co-sourcing provider, regulators, and internal lines of businesses.
- CPA, CIA, or CISA strongly preferred. Other relevant certifications will be considered.Clear understanding of risks and internal controls and the ability to evaluate and determine adequacy and efficiency of controls.
- Stays current on industry and regulatory issues and standard methodologies; imparts this knowledge to the team and the auditees.
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to anticipate issues and to design appropriate solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a shown ability to articulate effectively and authoritatively.
- Uses relationships and insights to optimally influence others. Builds authentic and trusted relationships to create alignment and support.
- Bachelor’s degree required.Ability to travel 15-20%
Target Total Compensation $98,000.00 - $176,400.00.
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.