Materials Engineering Technician
Under the direction of Materials Engineers, Welding Engineers or Senior Materials Technician, performs a variety of assignments. These may include performance of laboratory tests, welder training and weld procedure tests. Updating Materials department databases and working with other departments relative to application of materials and processes. Activities will support R&D, Manufacturing and Service.
Minimal travel possible, domestic and international.
- Prepares test samples by cutting, mounting, drilling, grinding, polishing, etc.
- Performs tests to determine mechanical properties including hardness, tensile, impact, stress rupture, fatigue, and bend tests
- Prepares weld test plates, does the welding, and prepares section for evaluation as may be required.
- Prepares non-destructive tests. May coordinate this activity.
- Coordinates chemical analyses on metallic and non-metallic materials.
- Prepares specimens for metallographic examination and makes photomicrographs of selected areas. In some cases will perform complete examination with review by supervisor.
- Performs variety of other types of tests on metallic and non-metallic materials for the purpose of evaluating suitability of material or process for intended application and evaluates results.
- Records all test results and observations in an orderly manner, bringing results to attention of supervisor when specification requirements are not met.
- Assists other departments, primarily the Manufacturing dept., in execution of various processes such as welding, cleaning, application of coatings, heat treatment of materials, etc. Trains or instructs other employees and administers tests as needed.
- Assists supervision in preliminary studies such as literature reviews and in preparation of reports to convey results.
- Maintains adequate supply of consumable items related to area activity preparing requisitions when needed.
- Conducts heat treatments using laboratory equipment.
- Prepares documents such as test reports as needed by other departments, vendors, or customers.
- Stays abreast of developments in areas of activity.
- Participates actively in company-wide quality improvement process.
- Initiates new ideas for improvement of products, costs, application, sales, or service.
- Designs and fabricates special tooling for testing and heat treat.
- Minimum of Associate degree or certificate/diploma program in welding or other materials-related fields.
- Must be capable of operating laboratory equipment, welding machines and must have ability to weld.
- Must be capable of communicating ideas and results utilizing computer databases. Computer experience including Microsoft Word, Excel and Lotus Notes. CAD experience is a plus.
Elliott is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the federal, state or local laws of the United States. Elliott is a drug free workplace.
No agency submissions please. NOTE: Resumes submitted to any Elliott Group employee without a current, signed and valid contract in place with the Elliott Group recruiting team will become the property of Elliott Group and no search fees will be paid.