VP, Corporate Controller
**Eventual Relocation to Charleston (flexibility provided due to Covid impact)
Benefitfocus (NASDAQ: BNFT) unifies the entire U.S. benefits industry on a single technology platform to protect consumers' health, wealth, property and lifestyle. With one out of fourteen Americans electing their employee benefits using our technology, and $49 billion of annual transactions taking place on our solution, we have the ability to ignite the entire ecosystem and have embarked upon a journey to evolve into a true platform company: connecting buyers with sellers. With fresh thinking and a view towards what’s next, we’re committed to evolving our platform to deliver a world-class consumer benefits experience that is powered by artificial intelligence and enables better decision making across the entire ecosystem.
Reporting to our Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the VP, Corporate Controller will serve as a key member of our financial leadership team with responsibility over all aspects of the accounting department and operations. This is a high visibility role required to engage cross-functionally and maintain strong communications and relationships with other Benefitfocus leadership. This role is expected to identify best practices across their areas of responsibility and deliver proactive insights, roadmaps, and solutions across the organization. This role has broad autonomy and discretion to ensure the overall execution of their duties and is expected to demonstrate strong business knowledge and understanding. The VP, Corporate Controller will work closely with Internal Audit, FP&A, Investor Relations and Operational Excellence.
- Oversight and direction of all accounting operational functions, including monthly close, policies and procedures, internal controls environment and internal/external financial statement reporting
- Assessment and communication of accounting and tax implications for all material business decisions.
- Principle leader for all activities with internal and external auditors, including remediation and issue resolution
- Participate in strategic initiative that optimize and enhance the operations of the controller organization, including identifying and implementing new opportunities for process and productivity improvements
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, implementing improvements as identified
- Developing and monitoring accounting operation performance metrics
- Overseeing SEC reporting and tax planning and compliance
- Develop and manage strong, collaborative relationships with business leadership across the organization
- Develop and maintain a high performing controller organization by hiring, training and retaining top talent
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Licensed CPA with 15+ years accounting experience in progressive roles
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting; Masters in Accounting or MBA strongly preferred
- Six plus (6+) years of experience as Controller (or similar role) for a publicly held company
- Four plus (4+) years of SEC reporting experience (10-Q's, 10-K's, 8-K's and Proxy Statements)
- Big 4 public accounting/audit experience required
- SaaS industry experience preferred
- Leadership experience in building and motivating large teams required
- Experience with NetSuite highly preferred. Financial Systems implementation experience is a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills, and collaboration skills critical to the role.
- Strong eye for detail and a work ethic with “get it done” hands on approach