Scope of the Job
A professional multi-skilled person dedicated to assisting in all aspects of medical practice including administrative and clinical procedures under the direct supervision and responsibility of a licensed physician.
Under the direction of the appropriate manager (Nurse Manager or Office Manager), coordinates the day-to-day clinic activities of Specialty Service assigned. Promotes adherence to the prescribed treatment and care plan as directed by the specialty health care provider and throughout the care continuum. Acts as a liaison with staff, departments/practices and patients. Facilitates a team approach of interdisciplinary care to ensure timely interventions as directed by the health care provider. At discretion of the physician, collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team, which may include member, caregivers, member's legal representative, physician, care providers, and ancillary services to address care issues, specific member needs and disease.
- Registers patients and performs other registration functions schedules patient appointments.
- Conducts EMR chart and scheduling preparation to ensure patient visit and scheduled provider are appropriate in accordance with department protocols.
- Prepare patients for the provider's care, to include collection and recording of vitals, assistance with patient examinations or treatments.
- Administer medication as directed by and under the direct supervision of licensed physician.
- Correctly document all entries in the medical record, either electronic or hard copy, to include signature, date and time.
- Perform all assigned electronic medical record functions, to include responding to and handling EMR tasks, as directed.
- Observe and report patients' signs or symptoms.
- At direction of provider, orders laboratory tests and other studies via EMR to expedite office consultations and patient care.
- Provides direct clinic support performs end-of-day disposition a required.
- Serves as a liaison between patients, nurses, physicians, and other specialty services involved with care of patient.
- Works closely with Surgical Coordinators and perioperative staff to facilitate placement of patients on procedural and surgical schedules.
- Provides direct clinic clerical support, cashiering functions as it relates to copays or other patient payment or collections and performs end-of-day disposition as required.
- Adhere to all regulatory requirements such as, Joint Commission, CLIA, HIPAA, etc.
- Maintains patient privacy.
- Operate office medical equipment.
- Collect routine laboratory specimens as directed by the provider.
- Perform venipunctures and administer routine, non-controlled medications.
- Use computer software systems, such as Electronic Medical Record, Medical Necessity, Ancillary Test Results, etc.
- Works as part of performance improvement team collecting and reporting data as instructed.
- Participates as an active care team member in the coordination of patient care.
Ability to communicate both orally and in writing. Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks. Knowledge of ambulatory health care or related health care fields. Skilled in conflict resolution. Must be detail oriented; Basic computer literacy and arithmetic skills. Basic clinical competencies.
At least one-year Medical Assistant experience required, preferably in GI or Procedural Specialty.
Education and Certifications
Must maintain Medical Assistant certification.
UFJPI is an Equal Opportunity Institution
# of Hires Needed