The Environmental Health our Safety Manager (EH&S Manager) is a key member of our plant leadership team and receives support from corporate safety professionals in Jackson, MS. The EH&S Manager is responsible for the plant's environmental, safety and health programs, initiatives and compliance. This position provides leadership, regulatory expertise, and a passion for safety to plant employees.
The EH&S Manager defines plant safety requirements, audits current safety systems, engages employees, and identifies continuous improvement opportunities for the plant safety program. This position also coordinates the activities of contractors for environmental services and the site's workers' compensation program.
Location: 1085 Highway 80 West, Jackson, MS 39204
Environmental Health and Safety Manager Salary: $75,000 - $90,000, based on experience (Gr. 10/11)
How you’ll contribute to the team:
- Provide safety leadership throughout the plant with active employee engagement activities.
- Establish leading vs. lagging safety indicators and utilize predictive safety systems to reduce near misses and injuries.
- Partner with the Supervisors and Safety Coordinators to accomplish all required EHS programs, including but not limited to: Hazard Communication, PPE, Emergency Action Plans, Mobile Equipment, Cranes, Elevator, Confined Space, Hot Work, Asbestos, Hearing Conservation, LOTO, etc. and all associated training and Job Safety Analysis.
- Provide training and annual refreshers, keeping all plant employees current.
- Investigate injuries, ensure the employee receives necessary medical attention, initiates necessary corrective action, and follow-ups with employee and supervisor.
- Ensure compliant Lock out Tag out (LOTO) program is in place and robust auditing of program is conducted regularly.
- Utilize Behavior Based Safety practices to increase active participation among all employees in reducing risk tolerance.
- Update and maintain plant's OSHA regulatory reporting and record keeping requirements.
- Oversee the plant's Worker's Compensation program in close coordination with Human Resource Manager on claims compliance
- Ensure proper operation of all required federal and state environmental programs, including: air quality management, hazardous/residual/universal waste management (including waste minimization), storm water, etc.
- Conduct site audits, evaluate plant's compliance with environmental regulations and identify areas of improvement.
- Lead investigations on environmental non-compliance incidents and provide urgent response to operational issues.
- Ensure a compliant and fully documented process for environment health and safety permit compliance (Title V, etc.).
- Ensure accurate and on-time submission of environmental reports - maintain the EH&S calendar.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Engineering degree, Occupational Safety and Health degree, Environmental Management degree or closely related field; Bachelor's
- 3+ years demonstrated EH&S management experience in a manufacturing environment
- 2+ years managing workers compensation programs
- Experience with environmental regulations and reporting requirements
- Experience utilizing Behavior Based Safety Principles or programs in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated experience preparing and delivering training
- Incident Investigation expertise including Root Cause Analysis or Five Why Analysis
- Strong leadership, project management, team facilitation, and communication skills (writing, presentation, data organization)
We'll be excited if you have:
- Knowledge of Lean or Six Sigma
- Experience creating a positive and strong relationship with a Union environment