Defense & Aerospace Specialist
Wake up each day to be part of a movement. A movement to make an impact. A movement to go for it. A movement to provide solutions. A movement to be empowered. A movement to do the right thing.
Our people deliver.
Empowerment, active listening, and creative thinking are a few attributes AIT teammates exercise to deliver a world-class customer experience.
Forbes names AIT Worldwide Logistics one of Americas Best Employers in 2022! Come join us at AIT and see why our employees rank us among the best places to work.
The Defense & Aerospace Specialist will be responsible for performing day to day activities required to operate and support compliance with USG and AIT regulatory policy/procedures relating to international and domestic freight forwarding within the Government and Aerospace vertical. This position will also be directly involved with Project Programs that could include offsite project management. Including, but not limited to; charter operations for both air & ocean programs as well as trade shows and conventions. This role is not a traditional 9-5 role. We expect our team to be ready to execute critical missions at any given time. This is a 100% onsite position.
What You Will Be Doing Day-to-Day:
- Act as the primary contact for designated clients/programs within the Government and Aerospace vertical
- Provide operational support and guidance as part of a control tower to company stations which includes quoting, routing, and executing freight shipments across multiple transportation modes and services (domestic, international, air, ocean, cross border, charter, and hand carry operations)
- Provide full operational services when required direct to customer
- Troubleshooting complex inquiries to resolution with world class customer service skills
- Facilitate international shipment flow by coordinating with internal/external customers, AIT branches, transportation providers, government agencies and overseas agents to ensure operational excellence
- Responsible for day-to-day operational compliance with USG and AIT regulatory policies and procedures as well as anticipating and resolving issues
- Work closely with the Global Compliance team to develop and maintain procedures for maintaining compliance with U.S. government laws and regulations including, but not limited to, ITAR/EAR/CFR compliance, import/export documentation, creating and updating SOPs, and regulatory changes
- Work directly with AIT departments/stations to maintain and manage trade compliance as well as educate internal and external customers in trade compliance
- Maintain current knowledge of import/export compliance and attend appropriate seminars and/or compliance training as needed
- Conduct research in the area of Government and Aerospace and stay abreast with current regulations
- Develop and manage SOPs for internal and external clients and review/update as needed
- Oversee & manage multiple accounts both operationally and financially
- Make high level decisions on the fly in order to meet required delivery dates (RDDs)/deadlines
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor while dealing with clients of very high caliber
- Have the understanding and ability to work on multi-million-dollar projects with high complexity into austere environments & locations
- May be required to travel to project locations to provide supervision and onsite services for the client
- Maintain relative availability for afterhours phone calls & operations
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality and need to know information
- All other duties as the business deemed necessary
What We Look for in Teammates:
- A team player who works well with others being respectful to our teammates is a Core Value
- A strong work ethic with an appreciation for ownership, independence, accountability, and autonomy in your role
- Growth mindset being passionate about your craft, always looking for ways to improve yourself and the company, being open to change and doing things differently
- Customer service focus we serve a wide variety of customers, both internal and external, and building relationships is a part of our culture
Other Skills We Hope to See:
- High School Diploma/GED required
- 5+ years of international operations freight forwarding experience
- 1+ year of CargoWise experience highly preferred
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general industry documentation/communication
- Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and organization skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Must be extremely detail and deadline oriented
- Must bring energy and enthusiasm to team efforts
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers
- HazMat Certification: IATA, IMDG and 49CFR highly preferred
- Knowledge of International Air & Ocean export and import business with emphasis on DOD/DOS (Department of Defense and State) regulations
- Ability to function in a high volume and fast pace environment
What AIT Can Offer You:
- Growing company with a record year in performance that continues to scale!
- Opportunity to drive significant changes in our station with an ability to make an impact across the organization
- Hands-on and passionate CEO who understands the importance of hiring great talent passionately caring for co-workers is a Core Value!
- Laid-back and open-door work environment
- High Performance culture with a focus on a growth mindset where continuous improvement is embraced
- Opportunity for advancement
- Competitive compensation & benefits package
- Generous paid time off
- Tuition assistance for your personal development
- Volunteer program its also a Core Value we actively engage in our communities!
About AIT Worldwide Logistics:
AIT Worldwide Logistics is a global freight forwarder that helps its customers grow by expanding access to markets all over the world where they can sell and/or procure raw materials, components, and finished goods. For more than 40 years, the Chicago-based supply chain solutions leader has relied on a consultative approach to build a global network and trusted partnerships in nearly every industry, including aerospace, automotive, consumer retail, food, government, healthcare, high-tech, industrial and life sciences. Backed by scalable, user-friendly technology, AITs flexible business model customizes door-to-door deliveries via sea, air, ground, and railon time and on budget. With expert teammates staffing more than 85 worldwide locations in Asia, Europe and North America, AITs full-service options also include customs clearance, warehouse management and white glove services.
AIT Worldwide Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Veterans/Disabled. If you are unable to apply online due to a disability, contact Human Resources at 630-766-8300 ext 5218 or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.