Senior Gameplay Animator
Welcome to Lightspeed LA (Irvine), the first U.S.-based, AAA game development studio for Tencent Games, where we are focused on building open-world games that emphasize an ambitious living world, sophisticated player-driven gameplay, and mature, thoughtful storytelling!
Why join Lightspeed LA (Irvine)?
Creation is the soul of our studio. For us, it’s not only about the exciting, new AAA open world game we’re developing, but also about team values and studio culture. We foster an open and transparent environment where everyone feels comfortable providing constructive feedback about all aspects of our games.
- We encourage the showing of work that’s still in progress
- We don’t attack or question unfinished work, we celebrate its promise
- We have a No Blame Culture where we blame the problem, not the person
This is a safe place to fail, and we don't view failure as a negative, but as the natural result of pushing boundaries and exploring new ideas.
We create together. We face challenges together. Most importantly, we succeed together.
Lightspeed LA is seeking a talented, Senior Gameplay Animator with a passion for pushing interactive performances to the next level. In this role, you will be collaborating with industry veterans to craft the highest quality animations in our AAA storytelling medium. The ideal candidate is a skilled animator, who has the creative and technical experience to craft move-sets and interactive animations that look and feel good in-game.
- Collaborate with game designers and programmers to craft high-quality performances that both look and feel amazing
- Take ownership of your animations. You are responsible for previz, mocap planning, clean-up, key-framing, implementation, playtesting, and iterate until it looks & feels terrific
- Proactively communicate with programmers, designers, artists, and writers to align your animations with mission objectives, gameplay intentions, art direction, and story
- Willingness to explore ideas, change animations, and give/receive constructive feedback
- Be helpful to your team and contribute to maintaining a supportive and creative work environment
- 7+ years of video game animation development experience
- Have experience editing and animating with motion capture data in Maya
- Have strong understanding of realistic body mechanics and performances
- Have good sense for weight, timing, and style for your animations
- Good work ethic and a willingness to push the game animation quality bar
- Have good understanding of cinematography and camera animation
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Can learn new tools and techniques for animation implementation
- Self-starter and innovative problem solver
- Shipped at least one AAA title
- Experience with Motion Builder
- Expert knowledge of facial animation and lip-sync.
- Experience with Scripting
- Expert knowledge of weapon animations
- Expert knowledge of melee combat
- Experience with animal/creature animations
- Experience with motion-matching / pose-matching techniques
Perks and Benefits:
Just some of the benefits of working with us here at our newly built studio in Irvine, CA.
- Beverages, fresh fruit, and snacks
- 401k with employer match
- Monthly Cell phone bill reimbursement
- Financial wellness sessions
- Flexible spending account
- Team building and company outings
- Parental leave for new parents
- Company paid health insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Wellness training
- Travel insurance
- Preventive care
To prioritize health and safety during the pandemic, we are working remotely until further notice, and will be conducting interviews virtually. The position is still expected to be 100% onsite in Irvine, California as soon as it is appropriate.