Prinicipal Firmware Engineer
OCZ Storage Solutions – a Toshiba Group Company, is a leading provider of high performance client and enterprise solid-state storage products and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation. Offering a complete spectrum of solid-state drives (SSDs), OCZ Storage Solutions leverages proprietary technology to provide SSDs in a variety of form factors and interfaces to address a wide range of applications. Having internally developed firmware and controllers, virtualization, cache and acceleration software, and endurance extending and data reliability technologies, the Company delivers vertically integrated solutions enabling transformational approaches to how digital data is captured, stored, accessed, analyzed and leveraged by customers. More information is available at www.ocz.com.
We are a global organization with engineering design centers in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Israel. We are a fast-paced, results-oriented company, pioneering cutting-edge technologies. Founded in 2002, San Jose, California-based OCZ Storage Solutions Inc. has built on its expertise in high-speed memory to become a dominant player in the manufacturing and distribution of solid state drives (SSDs), a disruptive, game-changing technology that is replacing traditional rotating magnetic hard disk drives (HDDs). SSDs are faster, more reliable, run cooler, and use significantly less power than the HDDs used in the majority of computers today. If you thrive in an environment of passionate professionals who enjoy the challenge of working on ground-breaking technology, we would like you to send us your resume today.
OCZ is looking for a Principal Firmware Engineer to join its SSD firmware team. In this role, you will work closely with other firmware team members, as well as with cross functional teams including ASIC, hardware, test or application engineering. As a senior team member, you will participate in all phases of the firmware life cycle towards our next generations of SSD products. Responsibilities include
- Prototyping product concepts and contributing to firmware architecture;
- Innovation and creativity within the engineering function;
- Specifying the firmware architecture and developing code targeted for embedded systems;
- Integrating firmware with other team members for the final product;
- Assisting test activities (both internal and customer qualifications);
- Supporting characterization and benchmarking of SSD products through dedicated firmware instrumentation as necessary.
As a member of the OCZ engineering team, your ideas you will have the opportunity to innovate in a fast growing SSD market.
To succeed in this role, the candidate must have the following proven experiences or expertise:
- 10 years of embedded firmware experience is required, including successfully delivering firmware for two different embedded systems (platforms, CPUs etc…)
- Over 10 years in C programming, exposure to C+
• a plus.
- Strong understanding of RISC processors, including but not limited to: C calling conventions, instruction and data caches, CPU pipeline and its impact to firmware, CPU contexts for interrupts and other operating modes.
- 5 years of Firmware/System debug skills with tools such as JTAG debugger, GDB and protocol analyzer.
- 3 years of prior experience with scripting languages for test automation (Perl, Python or similar).
- Ability to scope and estimate development effort.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to work with peer team members.
- Proficient and comfortable with standard software development methodologies including source control systems (such as SVN, CVS or similar) and defect tracking systems (such as bugzilla, JIRA or similar)
While not absolutely required, experience with the following is highly preferred and will highly increase your ability to impact the architecture and/or design:
- Prior SSD design experience with any of the following storage interfaces: SAS, PCIe (NVMe preferred) or SATA.
- Development experience of FTL including but not limited to RAID, wear leveling and garbage collection.
- Understanding of NAND flash concepts: interfaces (ONFI, Toggle), architectures (MLC, TLC, multiplane, etc…) and challenges due to smaller geometries (read retry, etc…)
- Experience with Multi-Core firmware design and inter-processor communications.
- BS degree required. MS preferred.
OCZ offers a competitive benefits package to our full-time, regular employees. It includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Life & AD&D Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Time Off Benefits, such as PTO
- Direct Deposit
OCZ Storage Solutions Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer
(OCZ Storage Solutions Inc. complies with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment based on race, creed, gender, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local law.)
# of Hires Needed