The Men's Denim Designer/Developer drives the ideation and execution of developing product for the men's denim line. The primary responsibility is to refine the trend, vision, translate trends to products, items and assortment opportunities. The Denim Designer/Developer will understand the brand strategies and financial goals to ensure that overall product development and direction delivers in-store consumer driven programs that are competitive and differentiated by brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete understanding of denim trend and development. Working knowledge of wash houses, fit, finish, dry process and mills.
- Engage in market and sales analysis to get a sense of trends and needs for target consumers
- Work within a time and action calendar for all brands /categories/groups managed
- Collaborate with merchandising, production and factory/agent base teams to develop a complete line for quarterly design presentations
- Communicate with sourcing partners/factories all details of product utilizing complete tech packs hitting all deadlines in order to adhere to time lines.
- Track all prototypes & pre-production samples
- Initiate and develop assortments for spring, summer, fall and holiday seasons from roadmaps
- Create color palette and trend presentation
- Work in partnership with director and buyer to fulfill OTB, sales, quality and margin targets through timely development
- Prepare and maintain Tech Packs, style development sheets and Line sheets
- Track and organize protos (with costing) for team review.
- Manage construction elements, components including make details, materials, fabrics and details for development and production of women's product
- Follow and communicate development and work in process (WIPs) dates and calendars
- Manage the development (fabric & trims)and approval process of assigned categories
- Support costing and development process by creating and distributing tech packs to vendor, factory or agent that can achieve roadmap requirements, IMU and general profitability.
- Understand government and industry requirements regarding fabric and make details for all categories
- Participate in Style hand off to Product Manager (hand off final production tech packs, files, and approvals).
- Demonstrates high degree of professionalism in communication, attitude and teamwork with customers, peers and management
- Demonstrates high level of quality work, attendance and appearance
- Adheres to all Company Policies & Procedures and Safety Regulations
- Adheres to local, state and federal laws
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by warehouse manager
- Understands and complies with all company rules and regulations
- 5+ years' experience in design and product development in denim
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Strong sense of urgency in managing time and accomplishing tasks
- Demonstrates proactive problem solving skills
- Must have basic retail math skills to determine costing, IMU and margins
- Adapts well to changes in the work environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Proficient in Outlook, Illustrator, Microsoft Suite, Adobe, PowerPoint and cloud based file transfer systems
- Able to establish strong and lasting relationships with vendors and cross functional teams in order to foster an environment of partnership and trust
- Strong background and understanding of new fabric developments in the Women's sector
- Experience working with overseas agents and factories
- Ability to travel overseas twice a year
- Decision Making
- Results Orientated
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: In general, the following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Standing, walking and squatting less than fifty percent of the work shift
- Required to lift, move and carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to read, count and write to accurately complete all documentation and reports
- Must be able to see, hear and speak in order to communicate with employees and other customers
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Manual dexterity required using hands to finger; handle, feel and type; reach with hands and arms
- Light: Office work, some lifting, bending, stooping or kneeling, walking
WORK ENVIRONMENT: In general, the following conditions of the work environment are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job within the environment.
- The work space is clean, orderly, properly lighted and ventilated with the proper safety compliance
- Noise levels are considered moderate
Boot Barn, Inc. reserves the right to make exceptions to, modify or eliminate this document or its content. This document supersedes all previous policies, procedures or guidelines pertaining to this subject.
I have read and understand the essential functions of the job and know that other duties may be assigned and/or changed at any time.