The University Shared Services Department is seeking qualified Accountants to perform and coordinate day-to-day accounting and finance activities in University Shared Services. The position will also be responsible for working with assigned departments to perform financial business activities in an environment of excellent customer service. The position will use accounting skills to perform financial support functions for the departments, provide departments with accurate and timely information to make decisions, and ensure efficient transaction processing.
- Maintain all procurement, travel and cash handling data systems.
- Create travel reimbursements; review all travel requests to ensure that expenditures and reimbursements are in accordance with pertinent laws and regulations; process payments and reimbursements as appropriate.
- Initiate requisitions to procure goods and services at the direction of others.
- Initiate eVouchers, eDeposits, reconcile procurement card vouchers and create travel expense vouchers.
- Coordinate with central finance on the interpretation and communication of finance policies, procedures, and programs.
- Process orders and expenses through financial systems and determine appropriate account and funding for payment.
- May perform basic, limited and primarily routine analysis. Prepare routine, standardized reports following pre-established processes. Use basic to moderate knowledge of financial systems.
- Determine and follow university travel, accounts payable, purchasing, cash handling and bid procedures, contracts, and federal regulations to ensure appropriate purchases are made. Create catalog and inventory orders using university procurement tools.
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact listed below.
University Shared Services is a virtual centralized department of transaction experts, with staff located close to their customers in colleges and units.
The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa is one of the nation's premier public research universities, with 11 colleges offering internationally recognized programs in disciplines ranging from otolaryngology to fiction writing, printmaking to space science, hydraulic engineering to dance. Iowa draws nearly 33,000 students from more than 100 countries and all 50 U.S. states, and employs about 29,500 faculty and staff.
A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Minimum 6 months related accounting experience.
- Must be proficient in computer software applications/demonstrated competence with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, including experience providing excellent customer service.
- Good organizational and analytical /statistical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Automated accounting or financial systems
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Financials
- Familiarity with ePro, ProTrav, and APPO systems
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a “Relevant File“ to the submission.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Applicants who fail to submit all the required materials will not be eligible for an interview.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
References will be requested at a later date.
- Classification Title: Accountant
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 3A
- Organization: Finance & Operations (General)
- Contact Name: Dani Weber
- Contact Email: email@example.com