Under general supervision, performs technical duties involving all aspects of sterile processing: decontamination, preparation, packaging, sterilization, sterile storage, distribution of sterile medical devices and inventorying, stocking and distribution of medical supplies.
- Decontaminates, inspects, cleans, sorts, disassembles and reassembles complex surgical instrument and implant trays, operates automatic endoscope washers, sonic washers, and mechanical washer/decontaminators. Performs microbicidal processes, standard/transmission based precautions, engineering, and work practice controls. Handles large volumes of complex, high dollar flexible endoscopes, delicate eye instruments, power equipment and different instrument patterns.
- Accesses reference materials via computer systems, follows guides and instructions to assemble high volumes of complex of instrument and implant trays. Inspects and evaluates instruments for function and cleanliness. Confirms all quality assurance mechanisms are in place. Labels, seals and documents all items processed.
- Performs all aspects of sterilization, packaging inspection, equipment operation, safety procedures, proper documentation, and prioritization. Sterilizes items per manufacturer's instructions, verifies correct parameters used for all instruments.
- Assembles instrument trays in accordance with patient/surgeon procedure specific cards within appropriate time frame and documents missing items. Performs duties in a high stress environment, responds to emergencies and urgent add-on cases. Receives and responds to a high volume of phone calls to provide additional items as needed.
- Performs inventory management for high volume of supplies and implants. Monitors and replenishes stock levels through use of multiple computer software programs and checks stock expiration dates. Documents usages in inventory system, restocks items, and adds new items to inventory.
- Performs regular biological monitoring of sterilizers to ensure sterilizer efficacy. Conducts challenge tests on sterilization and decontamination equipment. Performs preventative maintenance functions on all equipment.
- Participates in and contributes to in-service programs on a regular basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: Monday-Friday 3:00pm - 11:30pm w/ rotating on-call weekends
Location: John Pappajohn Pavilion
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- High school graduation or equivalent, with courses in the physical and natural sciences and mathematics; or
- One year experience in a hospital-related field that would provide a background in medical environment or sterile technique as it applies to medical supplies and equipment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days for merit positions. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. This position will be posted until 11/17/19 11:59 PM.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Classification Title: Central Service Tech I
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 6
- Starting Salary Minimum: 31,737.60
- Starting Salary Maximum: 47,167.92
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Sam Miller
- Contact Email: email@example.com