Product Engineering Intern
JOIN THE TEAM THAT'S POWERING PROGRESS
Building cities. Driving commerce. Saving lives. For over 100 years, Allison Transmission has powered the vehicles and technology that move our world forward.
What powers us? Our employees. From the first person hired by James Allison in 1915 to the thousands across the globe who work for Allison today, we're driving progress everywhere because we employ top talent worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity in Indianapolis, Indiana for a Product Engineering Intern.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin driving your career forward!
Product Engineering students will be involved in various aspects of the Product Engineering roles at Allison Transmission, Inc. Key learning and development areas include transmission test analysis, component research, basic product design, computer modeling, application engineering, and exposure to embedded control systems. Student will work closely with their assigned supervisor and complete a specific engineering project during the assignment. Students will be required to commit to a minimum of 10-weeks per assignment.
- Gain exposure to various development activities in order to improve drivability and fuel economy while reducing emissions.
- Participate in transmission calibration and integration of the transmission within the engine and vehicle system.
- Work cross-functionally with departments to improve on existing products and design of new technologies.
- Contribute to the development of specifications, analyzing data, summarizing and reporting results, maintaining records, and writing technical reports.
- Interface with customers and OEM's, tailoring calibrations to meet customer needs.
- Work with technicians to set-up and operate test devices and measurement tools.
- Present project results to management staff along with technical analysis of activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College undergraduate or graduate status with 1-3 years at an accredited college or university, pursing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering, or related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- No experience requirement – current enrollment in a 4-year engineering program
- Strong desire to learn about engineering roles in the automotive industry and ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well in a business setting and across functional areas
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Basic mechanical aptitude
- Proficiency with computer operation, including Microsoft Office tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic engineering concepts corresponding with school year
- Statistical training
- 0 GPA in an engineering major
- US Person*
- Due to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Intern with Allison Transmission, Inc. must be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Dedicated mentor throughout the internship assignment
- Students vs. Mentors softball and kickball tournament
- Community service day
- Leadership meet & greet event
- Allison Transmission Vehicle Ride & Drive on the test track
- Opportunities to work cross-functionally in a Global Headquarters
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of the careers information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.