Description: Legal Counsel
Reports to: Senior Corporate Counsel
Location: Carmel, IN
The Legal Counsel is primarily responsible for providing legal advice to internal clients on a variety of legal matters, including contracts review and negotiation, compliance with insurance laws, claims and coverage support, and day-to-day corporate generalist work.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts and other legal documents;
- Research legal principles and precedents within a specified area relevant to business;
- Evaluate legal risk issues that stem from operations and/or commercial agreements and provide recommendations regarding risk mitigation;
- Provide practical and effective guidance to unique legal problems, including legal questions with no established precedent;
- Understand and support the business goals for the company;
- Participate in special projects, as requested;
- Maintain strong and effective working relationships with internal units;
- Provide legal advice and support to all business units and ensure timely submission of work as required;
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments and communicate to appropriate business units;
- Provide research and advice to other teams regarding relevant regulatory requirements or regulatory changes; and
- Monitor and manage a contracts repository.
- Law Degree from an accredited law school
- Bachelor's degree
- Member in good standing of Indiana Bar or other U.S. state bar
- Minimum of three (3) years transactional experience
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts skillfully and successfully
- Experience interpreting insurance law and regulations or insurance litigation experience
- Strong legal research skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Familiarity with Immigration laws and/or information security laws strongly preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate legal considerations to a non-legal audience.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to track and meet multiple deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with effective time management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel and Word