POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general direction of a General Manager or a Maintenance Manager, a Container Shop Supervisor is responsible for supervising two or more employees who repair of various sizes of containers and compactors to ensure that repairs or replacements meet company standards. This role may act as manager-on-duty in the absence of other managerial personnel.
- Supervises employees who perform container shop activities, including responsibility for or recommends hiring decisions, trains and evaluates employees; coaches, counsels and manages performance; and makes or recommends salary, merit, promotion or other pay changes.
- Organizes and schedules work based historical and anticipated needs. Develops work schedules and grant time off as appropriate to match staffing level requirements for the maintenance shop.
- Reviews work orders and assigns tasks to container shop employees. Verifies the quality of work performed. Where appropriate, coaches welders and other staff on welding, repairing and painting techniques and procedures and take corrective action, as warranted, to manage performance as appropriate.
- Oversees administrative matters for the team including substantiating payroll, maintains records of all production, manufacturing and repairs performed, prepares and submits the budget for approval and sets department goals as aligned with targets/goals established by the division's leadership team.
- Conducts and / or participate in regular facility audits.
- Maintains open communications with other departments in the division, including Accounting, Procurement and Operations, to ensure fluid and effective operations.
- May interact with customers to address customer issues with respect to compactor equipment to work towards effective and timely resolution.
- Inspect containers, equipment and container shop activities to verify the quality of work performed to ensure safety and productivity procedures are followed. Identifies training opportunities and documents issues; provides constructive feedback to improve the quality of work.
- Anticipates needs for shop supplies, materials and parts essential for production and repair activities. Procures equipment and parts within shop budgets and assigned spending limits that are necessary to operate the shop. May refer larger purchases or major repairs to a manager as appropriate.
- Monitors and controls the container shop's operational performance; takes action to redirect activities as appropriate. Reports on the department's performance for the division leadership's review, making recommendations where opportunities for improvement exist.
- May serve as first level supervisor in employee internal dispute resolution process.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Knowledge of OSHA compliance components impact container shop operations, state departments of environmental quality, vector control programs and ANSI.
- Effective communication skills to provide necessary information in a timely and accurate manner.
- A customer service orientation and the ability to foster that mentality with the team.
- Ability to act with as well as promote ethical behavior.
- Ability to anticipate business needs and plan accordingly to ensure that containers, equipment, employee resources and fiscal resources are utilized in the most efficient manner as detailed above
- Organizational skills to maintain records regarding the status of equipment, personnel, schedules, and problems.
- Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement to achieve productivity goals.
- Thorough knowledge of safe working practices and the ability to promote and enforce safety rules and procedures.
- Ability to effectively supervise others as described above, including the ability to set clear and challenging goals for the container maintenance team and address performance issues as needed.
- Skill and ability to foster positive working relationships with employees
- A welding certification or demonstrated ability / experience
- A high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Minimum of 2 years of hands on welding and fabrication shop experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervisory or progressively responsible experience in a lead role.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.