Our Commercial Surety department is seeking an Assistant Vice President, Underwriting Specialty to join our growing team in Illinois; Texas; North Carolina; Connecticut; New York; or Pennsylvania.
Manages all Surety underwriting functions within assigned territories. Develops and implements strategies for Surety based on current trends, underwriting results, opportunities and directives by primarily focusing on: quality new business production, profitability, and meeting or exceeding quality standards. Senior-most level of field Surety regional management. Leads a large territory across multiple states and/or regions. Leads and directly manages a team of both managers and individual contributors in the daily management and execution of the local Surety strategic and business objectives. Leveraged as a resource in key initiatives that may span across regions and or business lines. Proven leader who consistently demonstrates enterprise values. This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Able to think strategically as it relates to national and local strategies.
- Proven ability to successfully execute and drive business results across assigned territory to include developing business plans.
- Manages operational complexities across multiple varied territories and physical locations.
- Fosters strong partnerships and has the ability to influence outcomes at various levels within the organization.
- Plays a key role partnering with underwriting leadership, Specialty distribution and Regional Executives/RVP's.
- Attends all key industry functions (NASBP Regional, Local Surety Association Events, and others that may be applicable).
- Leads, directs and has full management accountability for staff in area of responsibility with an emphasis on talent management and succession planning in accordance with strategic direction.
- Manages a performance enhancement culture actively coaching and mentoring direct reports, providing regular feedback and developing employees for wider roles and responsibilities fostering professional growth and development.
- Delegates and effectively leads through others to achieve results.
- Cultivates high-performing team managing resources and implements changes to close gaps and ensure streamlined strategy execution.
- Influences team by modeling strong relationship-building with key stakeholders to encourage use of timely and effective communication.
- Effectively presents information to influence organizational leaders and key stakeholders.
- Drives adherence to underwriting authority delegation and audit criteria for their assigned branches.
- Collaborates with business partners in Actuarial, Claims, Operations and Compliance to address governance and compliance issues related to underwriting practices.
- May take lead responsibility for driving the development of underwriting strategies and position papers for emerging issues affecting the local territory.
- May provide guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools.
- Handles complex referrals and consultations from UW's within territory.
- Utilizes strong influencing skills to position territory agenda on high-level risks in collaboration with the Underwriting and Business Unit Leaders to execute strategy and to write profitable business.
- Develops strategic financial plans, adjusting as needed in response to changing performance indicators. Understands the financial relationships, dependencies, trends, risks and potential returns.
- Collaborates with VP of Surety on strategic planning, both nationally and within the territory.
- Achieves gross written premium, retention, and new business plans.
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools in partnership with CUO as appropriate.
- Evaluates underwriting performance based on financial analysis.
- Provides financial results to Surety local management and underwriting team to develop plans to resolve issues.
- In partnership with local field leadership and distribution partners, drives Hanover's value proposition to enhance agency economics, partner conversion and product specialization.
- Bachelor's degree required, professional designations preferred.
- AFSB designation preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of Surety underwriting experience with a proven track-record of driving agency relationships resulting in profitable new and renewal business.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated success directly managing a team.
- Proven ability to manage, coach, delegate and leverage team resources to achieve business results among both local and remote employees.
- Serves as a mentor and role model to other managers/leaders for change management and Inclusion and Diversity across the department.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.“
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.