ORGANIZATION: Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC)
WORK LOCATION: Idaho Falls, ID (MFC Site 4x10s schedule)
The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a Department Manager for the Radioisotope Power Engineering Department reporting to the Space Nuclear Power & Isotope Technologies (SNPIT) Division Director.
INL is recognized as the lead national laboratory for DOE-NE, providing much of the nuclear research, development, and demonstration capability needed to move nuclear innovation forward to deployment. MFC hosts a unique combination of personnel, facilities and infrastructure and offers the ability to perform research and development of nuclear fuels from fuel design, development and fabrication through post irradiation analysis.
The RPS department manager is responsible to lead a team of highly motivated engineers working on power systems supporting INL’s mission.
- Manage a group of 20 employees across multiple disciplines supporting work across national academia, DOE National Laboratories, NASA Centers and private industry.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction on engineering efforts in the development and implementation of radioisotope power systems fueled with Pu-238.
- Responsible to lead efforts in nuclear safety engineering materials, fabrication practices and equipment design to conceive and design innovative solutions for specialized radiological equipment and support systems.
- Manage all aspects of human capital including attracting the right talent, managing performance, engaging the workforce, providing development opportunities for staff and recognizing and rewarding performance.
- Plan, staff and execute multi-year projects to provide power systems for customers such as NASA for multi-year missions.
- Lead teams that include engineering, quality assurance and nuclear facility staff to accomplish a common goal.
- Interface with DOE-HQ. and NASA centers and NASA-HQ to accomplish projects.
- Manage projects that are $10-50 M over several years.
- Provide baseline schedules and budgets for all projects in the department. Prepare reports on a monthly basis to be submitted to customers or headquarters.
- Lead field efforts to support customer objectives.
- BS in Engineering or other Technical degree; engineering degree preferred.
- Must have 10 years’ experience working in nuclear facilities.
- Must be a US Citizen and have the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a DOE "Q" clearance.
- Must have experience leading technical project covering multiple years with multi-million dollar scope
- Must have experience engaging with external customers such as NASA, DOE, etc.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy’s mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation’s nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world’s energy future and secure our nation’s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: .