LOCATION: HUNTSVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY, TX
The Library Clerk is responsible for checking returned items for damage or completeness, electronically checking in items, and maintaining the organization of the library by shelving circulated materials and maintaining shelved materials in appropriate order. This position is also responsible for assisting library patrons with directional and library use questions.
This position is 20 hours per week; Monday through Thursday (10:00 am to 2 pm) and Saturday (12 pm to 4 pm).
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
- Responsible for the return of library materials including the following:
- Checking returned items for damage and completeness.
- Using Apollo circulation software, scanning materials and routing them to the appropriate area.
- Shelving returned items.
- Checking to ensure that items on shelves are in proper order.
- Assists with annual inventory, including scanning materials and data entry.
- Advising and assisting customers in located authors and book titles, as needed and/or requested
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Must know the alphabet and decimals
- Possess the ability to:
- interact directly with the public utilizing excellent communication and customer service skills
- resolve citizen complaints and/or direct to appropriate staff
- design and produce reports and marketing materials
- read and comprehend applicable local, State, and Federal laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances
- respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public
- define problems and deal with a variety of situations
- think quickly, maintain self-control and adapt to stressful situations
- follow written and verbal instructions
- communicate clearly both verbally and in writing with elected officials, staff, and the public
- establish and maintain effective working relationships
- read City and Library policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, MSDS sheets, safety manuals and warning labels
- calculate basic mathematical calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
- arrange books in order using the Library of Congress alpha numeric system
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), preferred
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- May be required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Work may include physical activities such as climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, feeling talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, bending/twisting and performing repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Inside environment.
- Repetitive activities (performance of the same physically demanding activity).
- May deal with time pressures (frequent ‘rush’ jobs, urgent deadlines, etc.).
- May work with distractions (telephone calls, distractions, disturbances, etc.).
- May deal in unpleasant social situations (dealing with irate or disturbed individuals).
LS&S is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.
Hours Per Week: 20