Library Circulation Clerk
LOCATION: HUNTSVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY, TX
The Circulation Clerk is responsible for greeting customers, assisting customers with circulation services, answering simple questions, organization of the reading shelves and managing the Library’s main phone line.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
- Responsible for answering the phone, greeting customers, addressing customer complaints and explaining the Library policies.
- Answering directional, programming and low-level reference questions.
- Using automated circulation software to create customer accounts, checking out materials to customers, placing items on hold, indicating returned claims and placing notes on accounts, etc.
- Accurately handling cash and credit card transactions, and addressing fines and fees assessed on customers’ accounts.
- Assisting in training new hires in circulation services and cross-training in other areas, as appropriate.
- Instructing customers with the use of the self-service station, copier and printers.
- Pulling requested items from the collection and searching for lost or missing items.
- Organizing assigned shelves by placing materials in order based on the Dewey and Library of Congress classification.
- Recording phone renewals and statistical data.
- Following procedures for notifying customers of overdue, damaged and/or missing materials.
- Recommending strategies for library improvement.
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in customer service.
- Experience with Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Previous clerical or library experience, preferred.
- Possess the ability to:
- work with visitors and staff in a courteous manner.
- speak English fluently (bi-lingual English and Spanish, preferred).
- maintain confidentiality.
- maintain a professional manner when dealing with internal and external customers.
- comprehend and retain company policies and legislation, i.e. City ordinances, procedure manuals, Code of Ordinance and Office Procedures.
- think quickly, maintain self-control and adapt to stressful situations.
- communicate clearly in both written and verbal form.
- provide excellent customer service.
- type at a minimum of 20 wpm with accuracy.
- understand and follow written and oral instructions and be extremely detail oriented.
- prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- plan work and establish priorities.
- define problems and handle a variety of job-related situations.
- evaluate policies and procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
- calculate basic mathematical calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- May be required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Work may include physical activities such as climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, feeling talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, bending/twisting and performing repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Inside environment.
- Repetitive activities (performance of the same physically demanding activity).
- May deal with time pressures (frequent ‘rush’ jobs, urgent deadlines, etc.).
- May work with distractions (telephone calls, distractions, disturbances, etc.).
- May deal in unpleasant social situations (dealing with irate or disturbed individuals).
LS&S is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.
Hours Per Week: 40