Software Engineer - Autonomous Systems
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI), is seeking a SOFTWARE ENGINEER – AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS in Huntsville.
At MTSI, our more than 1,400 co-owners recognize the high demand for specialized professionals within our industry and that you have many options to choose. As an employee owned company where culture matters, we believe that by investing in our people we are investing in our company’s future!
MTSI’s core capabilities run deep across a multitude of areas to include Systems Engineering & Technical Assistance, Integration, Modeling & Simulation, Test & Evaluation, Acquisitions & Program Support, and Mission Assurance services. Our expertise includes ballistic missile defense, air defense, air vehicle survivability, unmanned aircraft, flight test operations, intelligence support, cyber security, space and homeland defense.
Join MTSI this year in celebrating our 29th consecutive year in business and consecutive growth. Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in our industry. All new co-workers start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days plus 10 federal holidays, 6% 401k company match with immediate vesting, semi-annual bonuses, and eligibility to participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). We offer other employee focused benefits, including up to $10k in tuition reimbursement and an optional zero dollar deductible BCBS health insurance plan.
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com
MTSI is seeking experienced mid-level software engineers to help develop an autonomy enabling run time assurance (RTA) architecture used to enhance the safety or survivability of a vehicle by superseding control to avoid hazards (e.g., ground or air collision).
As part of a team, candidates will initially integrate 3rd party systems into RTA’s plug-in architecture and add new capabilities by exploiting or extending the RTA’s API. Later, candidates will be responsible for systems of systems integration. The candidates must be proficient in C++ (authors not maintainers; back-end/business logic not front-end) and require little direct supervision and oversight to develop software based on high level requirements in a fast-paced Agile environment.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE/SKILLS
- Proficient in C++ (minimum 3 years of relevant C++ development experience in a professional environment)
- Build multi-threaded, time-sensitive, and resource constrained applications
- Write platform and O/S independent code
- Experience with data communications and networking
- Write programs that communicate over serial or ethernet connections
- Experience with message definition, serialization, and deserialization
- Experience with UDP/TCP, UDT, WebSocket communication protocols
- Able to setup and troubleshoot data networks
- Comfortable working with Linux (Ubuntu, RHEL) on the command line
- Able to work off of high level requirements
- Able to build software from specifications, standards, and ICDs
- Experience refactoring undocumented/uncommented C++ code
- Experience and comfort writing software in Python
- Experience with development paradigms: OOA/OOD, BDD
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE/SKILLS
- Able to begin work quickly and deliver iteratively in an Agile environment
- Experience writing and managing requirements
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Author test and evaluation papers, briefings for gov’t agencies (NASA, FAA, ASTM, and USAF Research Lab)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience across software development life-cycles (design to deployment)
- Strongly desire experience with design patterns
- Experience with Qt and Matlab
- Experience with UML or similar modeling languages or MBSE tools for communicating software structure, processes, data, and interfaces.
- Experience with aviation and avionics hardware (autopilots, GPS, GCS)
- UAS or robotics development experience
- 2-3 years’ experience in aviation with UAS operations, flight, test, software systems
- Experience with military operations is a plus
- Experience writing test plans and summarizing test results
- Experience pub/sub middlewares like Apache Kafka
- Experience with virtualization technologies like Docker or VirtualBox/VMWare
- Microcontroller development experience is a plus
- Bitbake, Yocto, or similar systems for building custom Linux distributions is a plus
- BS – Computer Science or related field
- Must be a US Citizen with at least a current DoD Secret Clearance, ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance