Requisition Number: FINAN01298
The purpose of the Patient Accounts Financial Counselor is to assist new and established patients with any account questions and discuss possible options and plans for their financial responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
· Calling all new and established patients to discuss and explain financial responsibilities.
· Offer financial advice and assistance to patients regarding medical bills.
· Act as liaison between patients and insurance companies; coordinate payments and answer questions from both parties.
· Appropriately document and report payment information.
· Update patient accounts and balances as necessary.
· Assist in making payment arrangements and inform patients of any available programs for assistance if needed.
· Calling patients who have previous balances due that are not currently on payment arrangements or who fail to make payments as agreed. This will include self-pay as well as insured patients.
· Evaluate and explain patients’ insurance benefits in ways they understand.
· Ability to be at work regularly and on time.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Must be able to understand different insurance company policies and procedures and explain them thoroughly.
. Must be able to review accounts to determine if balances are correct and insurance paid correctly.
· Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
· Must have excellent organizational skills.
· Must have basic understanding of computers and necessary software applications.
· Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
· Must have at least (3) years experience in medical billing office setting.
· Must have at least (1) year experience working with the general public.
This position works in the billing office of a busy medical oncology/hematology clinic. This person will have direct patient contact due to the nature of the position.
This position requires that the employee be able to sit at a desk and work on a computer for up to eight hours a day. Some walking and standing will be required when completing certain tasks.