Develops, reviews and improves engineering designs for customers’ products, to facilitate their efficient manufacture at the lowest possible cost as plastic products, while satisfying all customer functional requirements and product specifications. Produces reliable estimates of costs to manufacture products and ensures that tooling provided by suppliers meets all requirements for their efficient production.
- Review customer furnished data files and/or blue prints for the purpose of submitting a bid or proposal to potential customers for tooling costs, plastic piece prices and secondary operations.
- Interact with customer engineering to understand or recommend changes to product for the purpose of better mold ability.
- Comprise quote containing material, labor hours, production costs and outside services if any.
- Review; confirm tooling purchase orders upon receipt.
- Help apply new product design technologies, innovate and creatively solve problems. Position may also manage product design schedule.
- Coordinate internal and external resources to meet requirements of projects.
- Provide sales support of new or existing programs by generating part pricing, tool quotation packages, cost/pricing for engineering changes, and all collaborates on marketing strategy. Works effectively with the sales and management team to achieve sales and revenue goals.
- Provide technical advice to customer product design/engineering personnel and apprise potential customers of Plastic Molding Manufacturing’s capabilities appropriate to their needs.
- Ensures that tools and tool designs are appropriate for the cost efficient manufacture of products in a manner that will meet all customer requirements. Reviews and approves all tool designs and specifies design changes.
- Prepares and sends requests for bids to tool fabrication suppliers. Analyzes the capabilities of tool design/fabrication suppliers, evaluates their prices, recommends the most appropriate suppliers, and assists in negotiating agreements. Monitors the performance of suppliers to ensure satisfactory performance.
- Selects appropriate plastic materials for the cost efficient manufacture of specific products while satisfying customers’ product requirements for strength, hardness, stress, appearance, flexibility, etc. Creates purchase order requests for material and components not in stock.
- Develops and designs new parts and tools, such as jigs, fixtures and special cutting or shaping tools as assigned. Documents performance and accuracy of tools.
- Uses computer based CAD equipment and manual methods to prepare, layout and modify detail drawings, using own design concepts or those of other designers. Performs all calculations to determine and define dimensions, tolerances and other specifications.
- Maintains appropriate documentation files of all products, tooling and related information, including blueprints, drawing, computer based records, etc.
- Maintains a knowledge of industry trends and developments regarding improved design, manufacturing processes, equipment, materials and techniques.
EXPERIENCE/EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
Full understanding of the plastic injection molding and mold making industry is essential. Knowledge of mold building, raw materials, latest equipment and techniques as well as injection molding resins and processing. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent planning and organizational skills. Maintain an attitude which promotes teamwork. Well organized, with ability to multi-task and manage different projects simultaneously. Assertive, self confident and self-starting.
Requires a comprehensive knowledge of principals and techniques for the engineering design and cost efficient manufacture of a wide variety of mechanical and moldable plastic products, including a good working knowledge of plastic materials, the design and fabrication of tooling, and relevant cost estimating techniques; also requires the ability to use a variety of related standard and special applications software, as well as very good project planning and communication skills, as normally acquired through:
A Bachelor’s degree in Plastics Engineering or a related discipline and at least three years of relevant experience in plastic injection molding.