RF Communication Systems Engineer (ADV0003O8) - ERC
For more than 30 years, ERC has been delivering the advantage needed to solve our customers’ and the nation’s toughest challenges. A trusted partner to the Defense and Space communities. We provide the advanced engineering, innovative technology, and subject-matter expertise to deliver the mission results our customers need to keep the nation safe and secure. Our unique solutions enhance readiness, optimize performance, and help ensure success in the air, on the ground and in space.
An essential part of our success is our corporate culture built on respect, empowerment, and collaboration. Our culture elevates our people, ensuring they provide best-in-class service and solutions to our customers. We always strive to do the right thing. We believe that are our people are our best asset and human connection our greatest strength.
Our ~2,000 employees work on the most critical missions in the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force (USAF), NASA, and Missile Defense Agency (MDA). We provide support for Test and Evaluation (T&E), Modeling & Simulation, Agile Software Development, Systems Engineering, and more. Our teams’ current projects range from engineering and logistics support for vital space hardware to platform and weapons modeling, simulation, and engineering.
Check us out on ERC.US
The RF Communication Systems Engineer will join our team with ERC, a JETS teammate company.
What you’ll do all day:
- Write Radio Frequency communication subsystem level Interface Requirements Documents (IRD), Verification
- Requirements (VRs), Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for spacecrafts. Review IRDs, ICDs and component level
- requirements (Transponders, Transceivers, baseband processors).
- Review Link and network layer protocols implemented on communication systems based on CCSDS recommendations
- Determine the performance of Radio Frequency (RF) communication links and create link budgets using analytical methods or by applying analysis to simulation tools
- Actively participate and contribute to Systems Requirements Reviews (SRR), Preliminary & Critical Design Reviews, Component level reviews and Technical Interchange Meetings
- Perform Radio Frequency interference & compatibility analysis, Power Flux Density analysis, Spectral analysis for Space based communication systems
- Assist and support NASA RF communication sub system manager with reviews, meetings and be the technical Point of Contact
- epresent JSC and interface with other NASA centers and federal agencies
- Perform analysis using software such as Matlab, Simulink and Excel
- Other duties as required
You will love this job if you:
- Are a self-starter and require little oversight to complete given tasks
- Enjoy a fast-paced work environment
- Love working with diverse groups of individuals, including engineers and technicians
- Are good at communicating with people
- Have a positive attitude
- Enjoy multitasking
Minimum requirements for this position:
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school.
- Must have completed college level RF Communications course work
- Must have strong analytical skills in RF communications
- Must have strong knowledge of communication systems such as digital modulation, spread spectrum signals, signal detection, PN Ranging, forward error correction, and modulation/demodulation
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills along with the ability to work in a team environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation
Desired skills and experience for this position:
- Must have a BS or a MS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school
- Knowledge of orbital dynamics and STK software is a plus
- Knowledge in antennas, RF propagation and network layer protocols are a plus
- Knowledge of encryption/decryption for RF communication links is a plus
What we offer:
- Competitive salaries.
- Continuing education assistance.
- Professional development allotment.
- Multiple healthcare benefit packages.
- 401K with employer matching.
- Paid time off (PTO) along with federally recognized holiday schedule.