MD Anderson's Cancer Biology department has a long history of being a leader in the field of basic and translational cancer biology research. The department emphasizes the training of students, postdoctoral fellows and clinical fellows in the fundamentals of tumor biology to improve the outcomes of patients with malignancies. The department has built a program with close ties to many clinical departments to facilitate information exchange between the laboratory and the clinic. As such, faculty in the department are investigators on NIH funded collaborative cancer biology research grants. In addition, there are several physician-scientists who have joint appointments in Cancer Biology, facilitating the exchange of clinically-relevant information between the laboratory and the clinic.
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II is to provide technical assistance in carrying out various research projects, perform protein expression and isolation procedures, molecular biological experiments and animal studies. The position will provide technical support for laboratory- based cancer research. Duties will include assistance with organizing reagents and samples, and assistance with general laboratory duties including ordering lab reagents, consumables and receiving shipments. The position requires independent decision-making, judgment and high organizational skills. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining safety standards in the laboratory.
- Mouse colony maintenance and husbandry (Setting up genetic crosses, breeding and weaning)
- Efficiently maintain animal inventory records
- Mouse genotyping
- Monitoring health and welfare of animals
- Assisting and/or training other personnel in the laboratory
Space and Records
- Maintains laboratory space and scientific records
- Records and analyzes data and communicates information
Data and Protocols
- Maintains accurate, detailed records and experimental data and protocols
Constructs, assembles and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment
Other duties as assigned
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law.
- Requisition ID: 132142
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 34,400
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 43,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 51,600
- Science Jobs: Yes