The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Senior Communications Specialist, Communications, Education and Institutional Programs, reports to Director, Communications, Business Enterprise, and provides support for education and institutional programs, including Volunteers. Owns key beats for PR support and facilitates relationship with assigned contacts, including Vice President of Education and Assoc. VP of Volunteer Services. Works closely with Business Enterprise team colleagues to provide PR support and analysis, as needed.
Communications strategy and consultation
Develops, manages, measures communications strategies for education and institutional programs. Works closely Director, Communications, Business Enterprise, to establish collaborative relationships with key clients, including Vice President of Education and Assoc. VP of Volunteer Services that enable timely information sharing. Ensures alignment with institutional communications strategies and the strategic vision of MD Anderson. Supports media efforts for programs, attends meetings, attends key client meetings and is available for consultation, as needed. The role includes collaboration with clients, team members, PR agency partners, Institutional Advancement division colleagues, media and other key stakeholders.
Successful performance will include:
- The cultivation of strong, positive relationships with key clients;
- Management of successful PR efforts that are aligned with MD Anderson's strategic goals, Institutional Advancement team goals and our institutional brand standards;
- Tapping into and developing media relationships for story placements
- Prompt and accurate response and routing of beat needs;
- Knowledge and implementation of departmental resources (media list database, release distribution platform, agency support, etc.);
- Collaboration with IA colleagues to enhance content creation and sharing, message consistency and full integration;
- Ensuring patient information protection in communications, such as in accordance with HIPAA;
- Following and reporting on media interests, trends in coverage and issues;
- Ensuring brand compliance of all written and visual collateral of, and for, constituents
Writing, content development and media relations
With oversight from director, research, develop, edit and distribute written, visual and online materials for relevant audiences. Sets, meets or exceeds deadlines. Has command of AP Style, as well as MD Anderson style, and is an excellent writer and editor. Writing responsibilities include news releases, web content, brochures, publications, etc. Must have ability to translate information into relevant and compelling. Builds constructive relationships with members of the news media. Has experience pitching the media and developing stories into meaningful coverage for the institution.
Measurement and reporting
Assists with tracks and analyzing efforts on an ongoing basis to make informed decisions about next steps and success measurements. Works with director to provide regular metrics reports to key stakeholders and leadership.
Required: Four years of experience in public relations, communications, writing/editing or related field.Preferred: Preferred experience in Public Relations agency or healthcare PR.
Required: Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or related field.Preferred: Master's degree, two years of required experience. Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law.
- Requisition ID: 124829
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Hard
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 59,600
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 74,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 89,400