Applications accepted from: All Persons Interested
Job Classification: Division Manager
Division: Financial Planning & Analysis
Reporting Location: 611 Walker St.
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM* *Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This position is responsible for managing and directing the Budget group under Financial Planning & Analysis Division.The Division Manager will supervise assigned budget analysts in the coordination, implementation, administration and operation of the annual budget process, including the Five-year Forecast and Budget Priorities, Policies & Strategies. The Division Manager will undertake in-depth analysis and make recommendations to management. Establish and maintain budgeting and accounting policies and procedures for the section. The Division Manager is expected to be proficient in analyzing financial information and providing variance and forecast analysis and reports. Responsibilities also include reviewing financial material and making recommendations as approriate. The Division Manager will also act as a liaison for the department, and will coordinate and conduct special projets. This position will provide technical assistance, financial analysis, and budget analysis to various departments as necessary. As well as, participate in other projects as requested by management.
The Division Managers duties and responsibilities includes but is not limited to:
- Manages, trains, develops, counsels and evaluates staff performance.
- Assists in the design and implementation of special systems, plans and projects.
- Establishes policies, procedures, guidelines and project schedules.
- Researches, reviews and evaluates new data, reports, products and other information.
- Acts as liaison to other departments, government agencies and private sector.
- Reviews, evaluates, selects and implements hardware and software products.
- Assists departments and general public in obtaining and explaining technical and non-technical information.
- Develops and interprets codes, ordinances and specifications.
- Drafts and reviews proposed contracts, correspondence, letters of agreements and amendments.
- Manages and negotiates procurement terms and conditions with potential vendors.
- Provides technical advice, consultation and support to departments and other agencies and groups.
- Coordinates the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the budget and expenditures.
- Develops methodologies for creating project data.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking , standing, etc.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Engineering or a field closely related to activities of the division.
Seven years of progressive professional experience closely related to the activities of the division are required, with at least three of the years in a supervisory capacity.
A Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field closely related to the activities of the division may be substituted for two years of experience.
Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience in the following skills:
- Finance Degree
- Financial Management
- Interpersonal Skills & Values
- Data Analysis
- Problem Solving & Execution
- Business Knowledge
- Talent Acquisition: “Right People, Right Job.“ Engage and Inspire.
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade - 29
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period.
Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting:
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832-393-6051 (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.