The Checker's main job responsibility is to checkout customers' purchases accurately and efficiently by recording the sale of all items, collecting payment for items, and providing a positive customer service experience for the customer.JOB DUTIES
- Greet, assist, and thank all the customers in a prompt, courteous, and friendly manner.
- Checkout customer purchases using scanner/key board.
- Assist customers unload their cart on conveyor belt.
- Weigh certain items.
- Type in product codes for items that won't scan or codes for weighable items
- Able to recognize different products from various departments.
- Clean/maintain check stand area.
- Keep work area free from safety hazards and report any hazards found to management.
- Determines cash back transactions and verifies change to be given is correct.
- Completes necessary paperwork for opening and closing procedures.
- Count money for periodic pickups.
- Obtains change before running out.
- Sack customer's groceries as needed.
- Knows all forms of payment including food stamps, WIC, credit cards, debit cards, checks or cash.
- Orally communicate with customers and co-workers on products, prices and method of payment.
- Deals with upset customers and notifies the appropriate person to resolve conflicts.
- Understands the procedures for directing customers in obtaining refunds, returns, or exchanges.
- Discreetly notifies managers of items needing attention.
- Deals with multiple customers professionally.
Secondary Job Duties:
- Keep bag racks filled and maintained.
- Put up discarded or returned merchandise.
- Stock front end candy, gum and tobacco products.
- Return carts to corral.
- Present favorable impression in dress, personal hygiene and business attitude.
- Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting, unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
- Other duties assigned by management.
- Prefer a minimum of High School diploma or GED equivalent, some college would be helpful.
- Demonstrate basic math skills to give change or count down till for pickups.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Never- 0%, Occasionally- 1-33%, Frequently- 34-66%, Continuously- 67-100%
- Occasionally - Carrying up to 35 lbs., stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Frequently - Walking on tile/concrete, balancing, bending, pushing up to 35 lbs, talking, and smelling.
- Continuously - Standing on tile/concrete, pulling up to 35 lbs., lifting up to 35 lbs., reaching above waist/overhead, seeing, hearing and manual dexterity.
Safety Risk Factors:
- Occasionally - Loud noise, slippery or cluttered floor surface, contact with sharp objects, contact with skin irritant, nuisance dust, fumes, sprays, and hazardous cleaning solutions.
- Continuously - Twisting of back and neck.
- Working environment involves inside with controlled temperatures. ?
- Varied, irregular schedules.