Blood Donor Technician - Donor Operations
The hours for this position are Monday - Friday, rotating weekends and holidays, start as early as 4:30am and go as late as 8:00pm.
The section of Donor Operations provides collection and manufacturing services for allogenic blood donors for whole blood, plateletpheresis, granulocytes, and MNCs; as well as custom clinical collections for autologous and therapeutic blood components.
We collect approximately 30,000 units of blood per year through our mobile operations and fixed site collection activities. We host approximately 500 collection drives throughout the greater Houston area. We also have three fixed sites in the Texas Medical Center area, which makes donating convenient. MD Anderson employees are a critical resource for our collections. We have over 2,500 dedicated employee donors, which is more than double the national average of donor participation.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Performs all Donor Operations Processes according to Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
- Remains knowledgeable of all policies, procedures and protocols
- Reports any requested donor results, reactions, and adverse events according to SOP
- Ensure quality control data is accurate, complete, and documented accordingly. Adheres to all safety and regulatory guidelines.
Manages all customer service interactions with diplomacy, actively facilitating resolutions to problems and addressing the needs of clients both internal and external
- Embraces the roles and responsibilities of the Customer Service Program
- Ensures all encounters, verbal, written and silent (body language), with internal and external customers are professional and respectful
Participates in procedures, policies and tools to enhance donor environment functioning while ensuring a positive experience for all involved
- Utilizes the ten foot rule greeting everyone in a professional and respectful manner
- Provides feedback when deficiencies or discrepancies in process performance are observed. Offers recommendations for process improvement.
- Ensures individual competency requirements are maintained including required licensures and continuing education
Other duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a MD Anderson phlebotomy internship or six months of phlebotomy experience in a clinical laboratory. With preferred education, only three months of phlebotomy experience in a clinical laboratory required. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 143649
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Work Week: Day/Evening
- Fund Type: Hard
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 28,800
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 43,200
- Science Jobs: No