Airline Ground Handler
ELM – Elmira/Corning Regional Airport, NY
Reports To: Station Manager
General Purpose of Job: Ground handlers perform loading and unloading of baggage and freight as well as odd jobs to prepare planes for flight. This is a part time position servicing contracted air carrier on the field including scheduled or charter services. Responsibilities will also include outdoor ground operations, aircraft cleaning, security, operations and commissary duties as required.
- Contracted Airline Flight Benefits (Pending Open Enrollment)
• One Receive Benefits
- Free Bags
- Only Pay Taxes on Flights
- Flexible Hours
- Competitive Wages
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to read and write English
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of general office equipment
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must be able to become qualified to operate all aircraft ground support equipment.
- Must be physically able to push/pull/lift, unload and maneuver heavy luggage and/or equipment in excess of 70 pounds for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work in the airport environment: indoor and outdoor. Extreme outdoor conditions where extreme temperature ranges and conditions may be encountered.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must have authorization to work in the U.S. as defined in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Must be able to qualify for all TSA security clearance requirements.
- Must have a valid Driver's License
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- The ideal candidate must be people oriented, highly motivated with a positive and friendly attitude.
- Ensure FAA, TSA and airport regulations are followed.
- Enforce safety/security measures and monitors safety sensitive zones.
- Assist Customers with special needs, i.e., Customers who need assistance in boarding.
- Load and unload baggage of various weight and dimensions to and from aircraft and applicable airport baggage areas.
- Marshal aircraft to and from parking on the ramp.
- Must be well groomed and adhere to dress code policy.
- Work in extreme outdoor conditions.
- Ability to push/pull/lift 50 pounds on a continuous basis.
- Ability to work efficiently under time constraints.
- Must be available to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays and must be able to stay late for irregular operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to attend and complete required online and on the job training.
- Continually think, and communicate, ideas to improve the operation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee must be able to carry 50 pound suitcase from the floor to a height sufficient to place them in baggage carts and onto loading equipment, and carry a 50 pound suitcase in front of you with both hands for a distance of up to 25 feet; must have physical dexterity sufficient to perform repetitive tasks and motions, including bending at the waist and knees, climbing, balancing, squatting, kneeling, crawling, twisting and sustaining those positions for extended amounts of time in aircraft cargo holds and baggage bins. The employee must have sufficient hearing and vision and ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position.