Fish and WIldlife Biologist

Department Of The Interior Honolulu, HI
* Duties

Help Duties Summary

This position is part of the Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office.

This announcement is being advertised concurrently under R1-18-10258994-RR-MP for current and former federal employees serving under a competitive service career or career-conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.

An additional Cost of Living Allowance of 10.99% for 2018 applies in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Learn more about this agency


There are two positions:

* One position is part of an inter-disciplinary team of biologists specializing in Ecological Services actions and authorities throughout the islands of Oahu, Kauai, the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands and American Samoa. Primary duties of this position include: (I) coordinate and facilitate activities pursuant to sections 4,6, 7,8 and 10 of the Endangered Species Act; (2) act as a technical advisor to other Field Office staff on the habitat needs of listed species for the purpose of Section 7 consultations with other Federal agencies and Recovery Planning; 3) prepares written correspondence, reports, and papers for publication, based on the literature, observations made, and investigations conducted. Reports and papers are used to analyze current conditions and assess implications of future actions on rare, candidate, proposed, threatened and endangered species and their habitats; and 4) delivers presentations on the Service's policies and positions to other agencies and the public

* The other position is part of a team of biologists specializing in invasive species priorities throughout Hawaii. American Samoa, Guam. and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. This position serves as the office's senior-level technical coordinator on invasive species prioritization and implementation. This work is critical to species conservation and recovery actions in the Pacific Islands, as well as important for Federal action agency planning purposes. In particular, the primary duties of this position include: (1) review existing, new, and proposed regulations, legislation and statures pertaining to fish and wildlife resources; (2) recommend appropriate procedures for implementing provisions of these mandates and establishes key contacts with other agencies, organizations and the public; (3) prepare responses to inquiries from Congressional staff, the public, and the news media, obtaining and providing requested information within established office guidelines and in conformance with agency and departmental policy

* Both positions lead diverse, complex, and multi-disciplinary planning efforts with public and private groups and state, local, and Federal agencies to achieve Service and Department policies, objectives, and goals; and provide guidance to, and evaluate the work of, lower-graded biologists in matters pertaining to areas of special expertise.

Travel Required

Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


* Job family (Series)

0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences

* Requirements

Help Requirements Conditions of Employment

* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National

* Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service

* Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)

* Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation

* Must obtain and maintain a valid state driver's license

* May be required to successfully complete a probationary period


Only experience and education obtained by will be considered.

There is a basic requirement for the 0401 job series. To meet this requirement, you must possess one of the following:

A. Have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.

B. Have a combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major, as shown in "A" above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. To combine education and experience, first take the number of semester hours (or equivalent) earned towards your degree and divide by 120 semester hours (or equivalent). To determine the percentage of qualifying experience, divide the total number of months of acceptable specialized experience by 12 months. Add your percentages of education and experience together. The two percentages must total at least 100%.

In addition to the basic requirement for the 0401 job series, the applicant must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal government demonstrating the following experience: 1) plan, evaluate, and conduct a ecological investigations or inspections involving land and water resource development projects, proposals and/or license applications/renewals; 2) review and prepare biological portions of environment assessment/impact statements or comprehensive resource planning reports; and 3) plan, organize, and implement biological work and/or habitat preservation and development work. NOTE: This experience must be clearly demonstrated in your resume.

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.


PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.

PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.

FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: